Ingrain Carpet/Carpet Blanket discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ingrain Carpet/Carpet Blanket discussion

i was able to pick up two scarps of ingrain carpeting from pat at FHW, 2 pieces 72"x 6' (maybe shorter) of the Appomattox pattern and i gotta say they are absolutely stunning!and all said and done shipped for $90! the wool is gorgeous, it is however 3ply and thus very heavy and thick. now my only problem is trying to figure out if sewing the two halves together is in fact too large to be used as a blanket roll. the ends on both need to be hemmed in some manner to keep them from fraying. and i am hoping a whip stitch is strong enough to hold the two halves together sturdly enough in the center.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	837.1 KB
ID:	225133

Kindly,
    Thomas B. Grott
    Last edited by Tdotgrott; 09-28-2016, 05:14 AM.
    Kindly,
    Thomas Badye Grott

Comment

Thomas,

That's fantastic! I am looking for a swatch of carpet/tapestry for an original folding chair I have. I have been looking for awhile. I will see what FHW has left also.
      Douglas Urbanski
      1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
      Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
      William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
      Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
      David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
      Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

Hi Thomas,
        I acquired about the same amount, perhaps a little bit bigger a couple years back. Ifor putting the halves together, it will be cumbersome. I usually keep mine in a knapsack if I bring it to an event, or resolve that it's going to be the thickest blanket roll ever, and lightweight isn't even close to being in the vocabulary.
        Mark Krausz
        William L. Campbell
        Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
        Old Northwest Volunteers
        Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

it truly will be the thickest blanket roll ever, and that's without oilcloth even :-( really has me pondering what to do, whether i should keep it in halves and possibly freeze at night for not being able to lay still and flat enough haha or buy a second blanket for a blanket roll purpose and invest in a "captured federal double knapsack" to keep the carpet in, because honestly its super warm! like really warm. brought it into the catskill mountains last weekend and we got frost about 500ft above us but i was toasty warm and not very damp at all to my surprise!
          -thomas b. grott
          Kindly,
          Thomas Badye Grott

Comment

I visited FHW shop Saturday and had a nice visit with Pat Kline. Pat has several 36 inch wide remnants of various lengths in stock. The McLean parlor pattern spoken of earlier is beautiful to behold but Pat has several other period patterns as well including the Mclean pattern in different colors (some not on FHW website). The Mclean pattern is a three ply carpet and is heavy. I purchased a two ply 1840's pattern (the name eludes me at the moment). I purchased two sections 78 inches in length. I took them home and Sunday I stitched the two sections together (taking care to match the pattern) and hemmed both ends all in one sitting. It took me just under four hours. I am very pleased with the result. I will say that the two ply is lighter than the three but the two ply carpet is still heavier than an Abe Thomas blanket but the look and the fact that carpet blankets are underrepresented will, in my opinion, offset the difference in weight. The only bit of advice I would offer is to whip stitch the two sections together from the back/ underside of the carpet as the stitches will be less noticeable this way.
            Ryan Thornton

Comment

Out of curiosity, what was he asking as far as prices go?
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
              Old Northwest Volunteers
              Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTK36thIL View Post
                Out of curiosity, what was he asking as far as prices go?
                He charged me 90.00 for two pieces. Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet Pictures 005.JPG
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	225142Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet Pictures 004.JPG
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	225143
                Attached Files
                Ryan Thornton

Comment

They look great. I have been meaning to do the same thing, but get a scrap for a saddle blanket. That is another thing that is way underrepresented on the CS cavalry side. We have often complained that we can't get correct saddle blankets, but these carpet pieces would be great. I have one now, but if he has leftovers and 90 is certainly a reasonable price, I would like to have another. Thanks for posting the info and what you got from Pat.
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

HOLY COW! that is gorgeous! got me thinking i should contact pat again and ask what they have in 2-ply, i am having a hell of a time working with mine, as it looks now i will have to use just one piece rather than both.
                    -thomas b grott
                    Kindly,
                    Thomas Badye Grott

Comment

Ryan, how were the edges of yours sewn, rather did you do any stitching to the edges to keep it from coming undone?
                      -thomas badye grott
                      Kindly,
                      Thomas Badye Grott

Comment

Thomas,
                        The long edges (sides) come off the loom "finished". That is to say the fibers turn back on themselves and start the next row of fibers in the carpet. I simply butted the two long edges of the carpet together (keeping the design "married up") and used a tight whip stitch. As a precaution against wear and tear I tied a knot in my stitching every six inches or so. Once I joined the two halves together I trimmed both ends of the carpet and turned the ends under twice and hemmed them with a whip stitch. Again I knotted my stitches about every six inches. If your thread ever breaks from hard use this will keep the whole carpet from unraveling and will give you a secure starting point to begin your repairs.
                        Share some pictures with us when you finish.
                        Ryan Thornton

Comment

Working...
                        X