Need help iding a blanket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help iding a blanket...

I got this blanket in a trade and am trying to find out more about it. I was told it came from s and s but am not sure....either way its a great blanket. It measures 74" wide by 99" long is grey with black end stripes. It has no US on it. It also has tiny flecks of other colors in it. Check out the picsClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	230375
    Philip Guenther
    Columbia Rifles
    Living History Guild

Re: Need help iding a blanket...

If I'm not mistaken, that is a Pat Klein special. I have info on it at home on my laptop, I'll post about it tonight. I bought 1 about a year and a half ago from someone in another forum who had 2 to sell. I got one and another guy got the other, but he sold his on the same forum about a month ago. Its patterned after a blanket Pat saw in storage at Gettysburg. Both mine and the other one came with a US stitched, but I changed mine. I love mine.
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I like it too...its a little too big but i wont be complaining when the winter comes...
      Philip Guenther
      Columbia Rifles
      Living History Guild

Comment

From my notes on the conversation with Pat from FHW:

"I spoke with Pat @ FHW. This blanket was made after he made a visit to Gettysburg Museum & Park. A ranger took him out to a barn “storage shed” that was filled with various items not on display. He made several observations from dozens of blankets they showed him. Some of them were narrow, around 54” wide, some over 80” wide. Some 60” long, others over 100” long. The stripes on the ends varied in width from around 2” to 5”. Some seemed to be made “in a hurry”, others were nicely woven. There were even a few with the stripes “painted on” rather that woven. The colors ran the gamut from varying colors of gray (some almost white) to dark almost black, greenish, brown, tan, & burgundy. Just like everything else, there was the published “standard”, but once bailed, noone knew the color, size, or make of them. The army on both sides kindof “took what they could get” due to shortages. All of these “examples” he saw were the basis of this blanket. He did say he expected them to tighten up a bit more than they did, hence the looser weave appearance and slightly longer length, but made a point to say that these are nowhere near outside the dimensions of originals he has seen personally. He went on in his descriptions of others he saw that day, but they were along the same lines."

I've shown mine to Tim @ S&S and he confirmed that it would "tighten up" more if cold water soaked again, or just leave it the way it is. Mine is staying long, since I'm 6' tall its the only one I can put over my head at night when it gets really cold.

Maybe Matt Woodburn will read this and have something to add, he's very knowledgable about blankets.

Hope this helps.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Working...
        X