Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteens

Hey Pards,
    Somewhat new to this site, and I am just coming from mainstream reenacting. Just had one question. Was it common for a Confederate soldier to have a flag or unit numbers, ect. painted on his canteen? Have seen it at reenactments, but I wasn't sure if it was correct.

Thanks

Cpl. Rich Johnson
    24th GA Company K
    McMillian Guards

Re: Canteens

Was it common? Based on surviving Confederate Canteens I have viewed the answer is No because of various reasons.

Was it done to some degree? Sure. CS wooden canteens are probably the most frequently marked. The ease of marking is probably the reason for this.

Have seen some tin US canteens with southern use that have the persons name or state written in pencil or paint on the cover. Fact is that not many retain the cover.

Many CS used canteens were captured US canteens and period photographs show that most Southerners used the cover for something else and carried the canteen without.

One other consideration; When dealing with surviving marked canteens the big question is was it done during the war or post war.

If you care to look, I have a few CS canteens on the following page:

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

The practice of painting canteens was quite prevalent in surviving pieces from militia companies that served in the War of 1812, up through the 1830s.

Wood Light Infantry canteen, circa 1800-1815:

Toleware Militia canteen, circa 1830:

Though it was done, I would second Mr. Mayo's statements.
      Jason R. Wickersty
      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Jason, I just gotta ask...I keep seeing that verse in your signature, and every time I do it gives me this little tickle at the back of the brain. Where on Earth have I seen that before? I love the verse...it just sounds nice and stark and foggy, if you know what I mean. Is it Irish, or Scots?
        Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Verse

Micah,

Jason may know a little more history on that verse but if you pick up Ralph Stanley's self-titled CD (pretty recent release) that is one of the fine tunes contained there-in.

Sorry to stray from the original question here.

Kind regards,

Fred Baker
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Micah & Fred,

The verses are from the ballad Matty Groves, which first appears in print in a broadside produced somewhere between 1607 - 1641. It's first publication in a bound musical collection was in the 1658 'Wit and Drollery."

This version comes out of the Francis Child books of ballads collected in Northern England and Scotland in the 1870s-90s. I've heard several different versions of Matty Groves, one with the title "Matthy Groves," and, in an Alan Lomax field recording, even "Massy Groves."

The coolest version is by the British folk rock group Fairport Convention from their 1969 album "Liege and Lief." It's sung to the tune of "Shady Groves" with a real dark and electric Jefferson Airplane/late '60s rock sound (I can do without the crazy 4-minute guitar riff at the end, though, but it still rocks).
            Last edited by ThehosGendar; 03-16-2004, 11:37 AM.
            Jason R. Wickersty

Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

Comment

Hey J R W! ''Wit'n Drollery " ...Ain't that your Mess name?

On yeah, I need to stay on task too...nice canteens.
              Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-16-2004, 11:55 AM.
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
                Hey J R W! ''Wit'n Drollery " ...Ain't that your Mess name?
                No, but Wit and Droolery would sure make a mess! *cymbal crash*

Here's another painted canteen, with its matching light infantry knapsack from Rindge, New Hampshire, circa 1820-1825.
                Jason R. Wickersty

Comment

Originally posted by 24thGAIrishman
                  Hey Pards,
                  Somewhat new to this site, and I am just coming from mainstream reenacting. Just had one question. Was it common for a Confederate soldier to have a flag or unit numbers, ect. painted on his canteen? Have seen it at reenactments, but I wasn't sure if it was correct.

Thanks

Cpl. Rich Johnson
                  24th GA Company K
                  McMillian Guards

Many of the painted CS canteens I have had the pleasure of viewing were those brought home by a Union Vet, then painted or labeled post-war as a testament to their own experience. http://civilwar.si.edu/soldiering_canteen.html It does not appear that this canteen saw a lot of hard campaigning after it was painted.

I believe the trend became so popular that you could actually buy them already painted at or near the battlefields.
                  Dr Harry Warthen told an associate that it was not uncommon to go to the sidewalk shops and flea markets at the Rockets (sic?) on the James just below downtown Richmond and still be able to purchase them in the 1920's and 30's.

It is well known by all that ornately decorated GAR canteen shaped stoneware flasks were very popular.
                  Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-16-2004, 03:06 PM.
                  B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
                  X