No announcement yet.

Cap Boxes Worn on the Wearer's left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cap Boxes Worn on the Wearer's left?

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
    They may be in the position of action...but due to the nature of period photography it is a staged image if only in the fact that they are actually standing still and trying to look like they are in motion. (Notice that both feet of everyone are on the ground?)
    Whether this may have a bearing on the orientation of accoutrements is another matter.
    I agree! Though it looks like the cap box is on the usual side. It does look staged.......they seem to be looking at the direction of the camera without looking straight into it. The whole both legs on the ground that you pointed out seems to be a giveaway also. If I were staging an early photograph like that I would want everyone to see all the gear I had to look like a tough soldier on the march.
    David Benton
    PVT., 9th Texas Inf. Co. F

Comment

Allegheny Arsenal and Watervleit Arsenal both made cap pouches of two different patterns. The shield front and the 1850 style were the two competing styles. Allegheny Arsenal made the shield front style with longer loops to fit the newly adopted riflemen’s belt. If you look closely you will find the cap pouches are of the Allegheny Arsenal style. There has only been one contractor found that made the longer loop Allegheny pattern cap pouches and that is Sickles out of St. Louis.

Watervleit’s cap pouches were used to complete the sets supplied by contractors to New York Arsenal. This is all before the outbreak of the Civil War.

Below is a listing of items made at Allegheny Arsenal.

Date: 14 June 1858 From/To: Symington, Allegheny Arsenal, to Craig

I have respectfully to state, that, the stock of accoutrements for small arms, has become so reduced, owing to the large issues made during the four past months; that perhaps it will become necessary to increase the quantity, so soon as funds are available for the purpose.
      The accompanying statement shows the quantity of each item now on hand, and if any increase is contemplated, I beg to be informed early, to what extent, as certain descriptions of leather, beside the buff dressed, requires time, in the preparation.

**Enclosure included with above letter, dated June 14th, 1858**
      The following articles will remain in store after the
      completion of all orders received, viz:
      2,812 .58 in Cartridge boxes
      660 .69 in " "
      None Infty Cartridge box belts
      1,911 18 in Bayonet Scabbards
      3,781 16 in " "
      1,424 Gun Slings
      781 1.9 in Waist belts
      257 Cap pouches & cone picks
      None .54 in Rifle & Carbine Cartridge boxes
      1,465 Rifle ball pouches
      1,090 " Pouch & flask belts
      823 " Sword bayonet Scabbards
      830 " Waist belts with clasps &c (New riflemen’s belt)
      1,515 Pistol cartridge boxes
      500 Cartridge pouches
      1,511 Carbine Slings (buff)
      None " " (upper leather)
      480 Artillery Sword belts
      500 Horse Artillery Sabre belts
      1,530 Sabre Knots
      518 Cavalry Sabre belts (buff)
      None " " " (upper leather)
      732 Non. Com Officers Sword Shoulder belts
      None Sergt's & Musicians Waist belts

Allegheny Arsenal June 14th, 1858

David Jarnagin

Comment

Could they have developed a practice of holding the rifle with the right hand at the small of the stock and capping with the left hand?
        Brad Ireland
        Old Line Mess
        4th VA CO. A
        SWB

Comment

Working...
        X