Mounted Service Jacket as Used by Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounted Service Jacket as Used by Infantry

I've tried searching the forums with various combinations with no luck, so I thought I would pose a question to those who know uniforms better than I. In the process of pushing my Federal impression forward, I've been considering adding a jacket as seen in so many mid- to late-war images of Federal soldiers, especially in the West. The mounted service jacket appears in many images with the trim removed, although I've seen discussion of some units maintaining the trim. What about the bolsters on the back of the jacket? There aren't a lot of images of the rear of these jackets in use, and I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to examine an extent example, or would have a better idea whether or not soldiers removed these when they removed the trim, or if they remained intact. As an aside, I recently viewed an original cavalry-trimmed MSJ on ebay that had the bolsters removed, although there is no provenance to show at what point the bolsters were removed.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Re: Mounted Service Jacket as Used by Infantry

I used to own an original Mounted Service Jacket with the tape removed. The back bolsters had also been removed. When this alteration was done is anyone's guess. It could have been war time or much later in the jacket's history. All of the images I have seen where Infnartymen have removed the tape, I've yet to see the back. Lucius W. Barber of Company D, 15th Illinois mentions drawing a Mounted Service Jacket after his release from Andersonville, but gives no details of alterations.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Although they were mounted, the members of Wilder's Lightning Brigade were still infantry regiments that were issued cavalry uniforms and equipment. I'm aware of two original jackets attributed to this organization; one was sold by Cowan's Auctions (link below) and the other was sold by Fort Donelson Relics. The description at the Cowan's Auctions link notes that the cavalry jackets were first issued in March 1863 and that the men removed the trim "so that we may not be taken for regular cavalry."

On the flip side of this coin, there is one known "infantry used" mounted jacket with the trim (artillery) still intact. This is identified to Pvt. Charlton Welsh of the 45th Ohio Volunteer infantry, whose regiment was mounted in early 1863 to help chase down John Hunt Morgan. The jacket has the collar lowered and the belt bolsters removed but the red trim is still intact. A late-war photo of another member of the same regiment appears to show him wearing a mounted jacket with the collar lowered but the trim removed.

Last edited by GreencoatCross; 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM.
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. I am indebted to you both for your assistance.
        Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
        My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Working...
        X