Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Day: Our Military Men Were Not Always the Men to Be Thankful For

Gents,
    For this Veteran's Day, I tip my my hat to those of you who have served and thank you for your service. As a retired Air Force Colonel, I have always been impressed and grateful for the caliber of men and women who have donned our Nation's cloth. Such, however, was not always the case. I present to you some quotes from both officer and enlisted from the Utah War (1857-1858). These comments concern the regulars, as no militia or volunteer units were called up for this little affair, and are not very favorable comments about our men who served:

August 24, 1857: “Many of the men are exceedingly stupid. They are such, the most of them, as would not be enlisted in the military service of the countries in Europe from which they came. Coming from the old and sophisticated society of the old world, and being naturally defective in intellect, they cannot possibly understand plain simple language and simple acts. Besides this, expecting unlimited freedom when they arrive in America, they are always suspicious that they are being robbed of their dues in this respect, and yield to authority grudgingly. It is impossible to understand them, or be understood by them. They will stand in helpless inactivity in face of a set of harness or a tent, as a piece of mechanism altogether too complicated to be understood or managed without due deliberation and a proper lapse of time. They would sell their best article of clothing for liquor, though they have reflection enough to know that they will suffer from bitter cold in consequence.
    Such are the men that I have had in an American Light Battery that require considerable education during the last seven years. Only one of my eight non-commissioned officers is American. The 10th Infantry does not seem to be much better off in this respect than I am. In fact, as the Mormons are chiefly foreigners, we exhibit to the sun the ridiculous spectacle of an army of foreigners led by American officers going to attack a set of foreigners on American soil.
    The few American soldiers who are found among these foreigners are generally the lowest of all Americans, and are frequently more worthless than the foreigners themselves. Once in a while, however, an American of sense finds his way into the ranks – I have more now than I have had before for a long time – and it is a real relief and even a luxury when in the execution of duty to come in contact with them. You find that at least you have a community of ideas with them, that they understand you, and accomplish more in an hour than could be accomplished by the stolid stupidity of the foreigner in the course of a day. Such Americans, however, when they find themselves in the service and discover that it is not so agreeable or tolerable as they had fancied it, think it no harm to desert – so low have American notions become …” (From the book: Mormon Resistance; edited by Leroy R. Hafen & Ann W. Hafen; pg 115-116, taken from the diary of Captain John Wolcott Phelps, 4th US Light Artillery)

May 28, 1858: “That Young’s career in Utah should be arrested, no one will deny: none will attempt to apologise for his crimes and those of his fanatical followers. The cause of morality demands the extermination of this nest of adulterers, and no further time should be wasted in attempts at compromise or windy discussion. It were useless to attempt their reformation – the only missionaries that can make headway with them are such as wield the sabre and bear the musket. But this question arises in my mind: Are the men the United States are sending there, fit champions of order and morality; and will the presence of a body of such men as compose the American Army, likely to bring about a healthier moral state of society than exists under the present Mormon rulers? To both parts of this question, I answer no, unless, indeed the old saw that “an old rogue makes the best jailor,” will be verified. Company A, second dragoon recruits is a fair specimen of the missionaries that are to reform the Mormons, and the following extract from their morning report of May 26, will show what they are:
    “Privates in confin[e]ment 49; charges – stealing 11; drunkenness and disorderly conduct 23; gambling 7; attempt to rob 4; attempt to desert 3; attempt to murder 1….. Total 53.” Are not these pretty creatures to send out on an errant connected with the moral state of our community? It is a melancholy fact that few, except the lowest dregs of society will enlist in the American army; while on the contrary it might be rendered the most respectable and polished body of soldiers o the globe, without one cent additional expense to the Government. I do not believe there is one private out of every hundred who is not an habitual drunkard,…” (To Utah with the Dragoons; Edited by Harold D. Langley, pg 21-22)

May 28, 1858: “Rumors prevailed here a few days since that a collision had occurred between the Free State men and the Border Ruffians, but I have since heard it contradicted on good authority, and I hope I may say it is untrue. On the strength of the report, however, a company of the Second Dragoons were ordered under arms to be ready to march at a moment’s warning. Thank heaven they were not called out, as I cannot see how such men could do otherwise than affiliate with their brother ruffians on the Missouri border. May heaven save Kansas from ever needing the protection of Federal bayonets; and may the nation never be reduced to the necessity of having to rely on her regular soldiers for defence. I would rather, were fighting to be done, take five hundred volunteers (such men, for instance, as the Scott legion of Philadelphia) into the field, than five times the number of regular soldiers. Were you at Fort Leavenworth one week, you would form the same opinion in the case that I have.” (To Utah with the Dragoons; Edited by Harold D. Langley, pg 22-23)

May it never be so again!

Chuck Mood
    Charles W. Mood
Working...
X