Georgia Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Shell

Dose anyone have more information or pictures of this shell?

Enlisted man's shell jacket. This roughly made shell jacket was probably a Georgia State issue. It was captured during the battle for Atlanta. Confederate cartidge box. By early 1862 the Federal naval blockade of Southern ports was beginning to cause severe shortages of many of the materials needed for the manufacture of equipment for the use of the armies in the field. Among these was the access to leather for shoes, belts, and cartridge boxes. This is an example of "making do" with what was available in the form of cotton canvas that was painted or "tarred" to make is somewhat waterproof. The associated waist belt appears to be made from harness leather that was likely scavanged by the owner.

Tried Google with no luck.

Thanks
    Marc Mathis
    Flatlanders Mess

Re: Georgia Shell

Ask Iowan Brandon Jolly about it. He likely has some information about it because he reproduced one :
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I looked at this jacket with Brandon. The providence the museum has on it is incomplete. They said it was picked up during the Atlanta Campaign by an Iowa Cav unit (don't remember the name) but they were serving in western TN during the Atlanta campaign.
      This jacket is very similiar to the one on Fred Adolphus's site

Brian Baird

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	105_2881.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	223587

Marc-

Silas is right. Hopefully Brandon Jolly will see your post and chime in about this jacket.

Brian is also right the Iowa Historical Society's information is vague on this jacket.

I do have another view of this same jacket taken a little more from the side.
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Thank y' all.
          Marc Mathis
          Flatlanders Mess

Comment

Is anything known about the cartridge box, sling and belt?

Weldon Svoboda

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	From an Atlanta Estate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	223588

Is this close? This is from an Atlanta Georgia estate-- unidentified but the jacket looks similar

Tom Arliskas
              CS uniforms
              Tom Arliskas

Comment

These too. Also Georgians.
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Of course what I am about to say is based on conversations with Brandon.

I thought this jacket was picked up in Atlanta afterthe fall of the city. There are a pair of wooden shoe soles picked up in 1865 by an Iowa cavalryman now in the Atlanta History Center's collection.
                  Pat Brown

Comment

Greetings,

According to correspondance with a staff member of the State Historical Society of Iowa, the brief artifact description states that the jacket was acquired by a soldier with the 4th Iowa Cavalry around Atlanta.

As others have stated, the 4th Iowa Cavalry was not present for the 1864 Atlanta Campaign. However, elements of the regiment were involved in Wilson's raid into Alabama and Georgia in early 1865. Targets of this raid included the Confederate supply areas of Selma (AL), Macon (GA), and Columbus (GA). Following the raid, the regiment was stationed in Atlanta, GA where they were mustered out in August of 1865.

Based on my research, I feel that the Confederate jacket in the SHSI collection could have construction origins to Georgia. As the museum description states, it could very well have been acquired in Atlanta with garment construction having occured there or at one of the other uniform manufacturing facilties in the area. There is also possibly a chance that it was picked up by the soldier in Selma, Macon, or Columbus on his way back to Atlanta; as there was a large amount of war trophies and prisoners taken during this period by Wilson's command.

There are others who study Confederate jackets more than I do and it would be great to hear their thoughts.

Derek Orwig

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pard View Post

Weldon Svoboda
                      I don't believe the cartridge box, sling and belt are associated with the jacket other than they are all local Southern manufactured items and put together for the display.

I am supposed to be meeting with someone from the Iowa Historical Society on another matter in the next couple of days and hopefully I will have an opportunity to bring this up.
                      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
                      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
                      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pard View Post

Weldon Svoboda
                        Weldon-

I finally had an opportunity to speak with the person at the Iowa Historical Society. This person I spoke with believed the cartridge box came from the Parker House Collection in Iowa City originally. I am unfamiliar with that collection to be quite honest. She also recommended contacting Mary Bennett with the Special Collections section of the Iowa Historical Society for additional information about the belt and cartridge box. Please see the link below for the website with her email address. Good luck!

The State Historical Society of Iowa has been a trustee of Iowa’s historical legacy since 1857. With a dual mission of preservation and education, it maintains a museum, two research centers, and seven historic sites.
                        Louis Zenti

Comment

Working...
                        X