articles forcibly seized by the Citizens of Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• articles forcibly seized by the Citizens of Missouri

Entry 21 Box 245/G-149 Date: 3 May 1861 From/To: N. Grant, Missouri Depot, to Craig

I transmit herewith an abstract of the articles forcibly seized by the Citizens of Missouri, and removed from the Depot, as ascertained by taking an inventory of the property remaining in my charge since the evacuation of the post by the mob.
    The property remaining consists chiefly of parts of arms & materials for making repairs, and tools &c in store and in current service.
    **Enclosure with above letter, Abstract of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores forcibly Seized by armed Citizens of Missouri, and removed from the U.S. Missouri Depot from the 20th to the 27th April 1861. Inclusive, viz:
    180 Musket Cartridge Boxes
    74 Musket Cartridge box belts W.B.
    35 Carbine Slings W.B.
    18 Percussion Ball Moulds, R.C.
    1 Rifle Wall Piece Ball Mould
    1 Rifle Wall Piece Cone Wrench
    1 Rifle Wall Piece Ball Nipper
    6 Carbine Cartridge Boxes
    200 Cavalry Sabre Belts B.B.
    230 Cavalry Sabre Belts B.B. 2nd hand
    13 Cavalry Sabre Belts B.L. (Black Leather) 2nd hand
    33 Cavalry Sabre Belts W.B.
    475 Cavalry Sabre Belt Plates N.P.
    91 Cavalry Sabre Belt Plates O.P
    1 Rifle Cover, Leather

I found this when looking for information on gun slings.

David Jarnagin

Re: articles forcibly seized by the Citizens of Missouri

I suppose this was the Liberty arsenal which was seized April 20, 1861. But I'm not sure since there were about 1,000 weapons and 4 guns that were captured and they are not mentioned here.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

David,

Any idea what pattern the "Carbine Cartridge Boxes" would have been?

Will MacDonald

Comment

Will,

Here is some clarification over what I think is the most likely patterns. This does not mean this is what they are but a best guess off the information. I find one odd point no cap pouches.

35 Carbine Slings W.B. (These should be the Pattern 1839)
        6 Carbine Cartridge Boxes (These could be the 1839 carbine or the later and more likely Pattern 1841)
        200 Cavalry Sabre Belts B.B. (Since these are blackened buff they are the pattern of 1851)
        230 Cavalry Sabre Belts B.B. 2nd hand (same as above)
        13 Cavalry Sabre Belts B.L. (Black Leather) 2nd hand (these were made after 1855 when a different leather was allow other than blackened buff. They could be black bridle or waxed there is no clear information on the earliest sword belts. In 1857 it is waxed or what is called upper leather was listed in the contracts.)
        33 Cavalry Sabre Belts W.B. (1841 Dragoon belts???)(There was white buff belts made by the Ordnance Dept. during the 1850’s.)
        475 Cavalry Sabre Belt Plates N.P. (likely the new 1861 plates with the increased height)
        91 Cavalry Sabre Belt Plates O.P (Pattern of 1851 plate with the 3 piece wreath)

David Jarnagin

Comment

Working...
        X