6th Miss Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th Miss Infantry

This is my first time posting here and Im looking for any help or links to the uniform and equipment of the 6th Miss Infantry at the time of their Bloody fight at Shiloh. I have the Rick Reeves print "The Bloody 6th Miss" where they engaged on Rhea Field and that has been the only information I have ever found on what that Regt may have looked like. All I know is that they were issued new uniforms and muskets at Corinth just prior to Shiloh. Thank you in advance.

Tom Allen
    4th US, Co A
    Fort Steilacoom, Wa
    Tom Allen

Re: 6th Miss Infantry

Check out this folder on the forum here. A authentic battalion of the 6th Miss. was at this past years Shiloh. Lots of great links to research and source material found in this folder. Enjoy!

Last edited by 42va.reb; 01-20-2013, 12:32 AM. Reason: grammer
    Chris Owens

[B][URL="http://http://www.civilwar.org/"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]CWPT[/URL][/B]
    [/FONT][email]ooschris@hotmail.com[/email]

Comment

Chris,
      Thank you so much! That's the information I was lookin for!

Tom Allen
      Tom Allen

Comment

While Rick Reeves paints great pictures, I would caution using his painting--at least that of the 6th Mississippi--as a historical reference. About a year ago, I spoke with Grady Howell, who wrote the regimental history of the 6th, and he said he had given Rick lots of information to use for the painting. When the painting was finished, Grady said that Rick obviously didn't use his advice.

Best,
        Joseph
        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
        Yocona Rip Raps
        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Originally posted by GenuineInformation View Post
          While Rick Reeves paints great pictures, I would caution using his painting--at least that of the 6th Mississippi--as a historical reference. About a year ago, I spoke with Grady Howell, who wrote the regimental history of the 6th, and he said he had given Rick lots of information to use for the painting. When the painting was finished, Grady said that Rick obviously didn't use his advice.

Best,
          Joseph
          newbie here. found this thread while searching for 6th MS info online.
          Just a note re: the 6th and Grady Howell's book, Going to Meet the Yankees: A History of the "Bloody Sixth" Mississippi Infantry, C.S.A....
          the second printing has been out of print for a year or so now but spoke with Grady this morning and he has a call into his printer to inquire about a 3rd printing. Not sure if any additions will be made but will find out.
          Grady is now retired from MDAH and is full time writing, publishing, speaking.
          I created a facebook page for him which has his events, postings, contact info should anyone like to speak to him re: the 6th and other MS regiments. www.facebook.com/authorgradyhowell
          Mr. Knight is correct re: Reeve's painting concerning attire, flag. The 6th would have had a Hardee flag as depicted but also had their regimental flag which is unfortunately stuffed in an apothecary jar at the MDAH and is too fragile to remove/restore.
          Grady on the regimental flag: " Margie Bearss (Ed's wife) did a rendering and based it on the "Second National", however, I believe that the flag in the jar is a "First National". In 1861 most units carried variations of the "First National". The fact that it is in an apothecary jar (and J. J. Thornton the Sixth's first C.O. switched from being a medical doctor to a druggist late in life) leads me to believe that his family donated it to M.D.A.H. years after his death. The "Victory or Death" could have appeared anywhere (canton corner, etc.) but most likely was on the center "white bar" of the "Stars and Bars. The Sixth had at least three flags. The first was a "First National"; the second a "Hardee flag" (pictured by Reaves) and the third would have been most likely a "Second National."

great site here for CW info and campaigning, btw.
          Chris Merck
          Brandon, MS

Comment

Working...
          X