T.V. Brooke Blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.V. Brooke Blanket?

Was the T.V. Blanket issued to just the Richmond Howitzers? I cannot find much information about this blanket and wondered how authentic its use for infantry would be.
    Any information will help.
    Jason Holmes
    26th North Carolina Infantry
    [url]http://www.26nc.org/[/url]

Re: T.V. Brooke Blanket?

Jason,

There are very few doc'd and ID'd confederate blankets. Trying to nail down most material culture is tough enough but blankets are a different animal. Unlike accouterments (which had zero use in civilian life) or uniforms( against the law to wear them during reconstruction) blankets were just as functional in 1866, 1870 as they were in 1864. Add in that the folks at home were always rounding stuff up like blankets and shirts etc to be sent to the front to supplement gov't issue (which may well be issuing civilian blankets) and trying to pin point who had what blanket when is impossible.

A good quality reproduction (or nice antique) blanket is something that you can use for just about any impression (imported NC blankets being the exception). Certainly the TV Brooke blanket has provenance to late war ANV but I would also use one at Shiloh or Olustee and not think a thing about it.
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the great info Bryant, I think I will feel safe using it once I find one.
      Jason Holmes
      26th North Carolina Infantry
      [url]http://www.26nc.org/[/url]

Comment

Well said, Bryant! Great insight.
        Paul Boccadoro
        Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by PieBoy96 View Post
          Well said, Bryant! Great insight.
          A high compliment coming from a blankie hoarder such as your self!

Stay warm messmates.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Does anyone have detailed notes and/or photos of the original Brooke blanket? I am currently gathering information on this item for a possible project. It's currently on display so getting a worksheet directly from the MoC isn't an option at this time. Measurements of the stripes, overall weight, etc.... I know this has been reproduced, but I am looking for the original's details. Thanks in advance.
            Respectfully,
            Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

All,
              I am still looking for any detailed notes and/or photos of the original Brooke blanket. The original is currently on display at the MoC so getting a worksheet isn't an option at this time. Measurements of the stripes, overall weight, etc.... is what I am trying to find. I know this has been reproduced, but I am looking for the details of the original. Thanks in again in advance!
              Respectfully,
              Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Working...
              X