S&S blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S blankets

How authentic are the US blankets from S&S?
    Thanks
    John Dunn
    John Dunn

Re: S&S blankets

They are of the highest quality the only one who make a better blanket (in my opinion) is N.J ************ and he is out right now.
    Matthew Gravely

Comment

Extremely. One of the best i have ever owned. Accurate weave, weight, color and texture. Not as heavy as a Charlie Childs but heavier than most.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I ordered one this morning! He said he had 3 left.
        John Dunn
        John Dunn

Comment

Purchased one last year and was very impressed.

I have heard some grumbling from a vendor in NJ that modern dyes are used instead of authentic "vegetable" based dyes but can't testify to this or even see where this would make any difference except for bragging rights.

My opinion, it will be a good buy if you are looking for a good quality and authentic looking federal blanket.

"Will keep you warm to!"

Joe Musgrove
          26th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
          "I fight for Uncle Abe!"
          Joseph Musgrove

Comment

How do you get ahold of the guy in NJ?
            John Dunn

Comment

John-

Do a search for a Civil War sutler in Butler, NJ.
              Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
              Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
              Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
              Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

May I suggest that if you have a question about a product you ask the maker. Tim Sheads will give you an honest answer. Hard to imagine Tim would go to expense to have these produced and then use modern dyes

Comment

I have an S&S and I love it. Weave, color, fabric, just like what I've seen in museums. Has kept me warm down into the low 40s at night. (OK I'm from Florida-that's cold)
                  [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
                  SUVCW, SVR,
                  Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
                  Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

In trying to put together a more authentic kit you will have to patronize a variety of sutlers really. No one carries everything and the ones that have a larger selection will not always have in stock everything when you need it.

Sticking to the AC approved venders list and the guidelines of the unit you are in are the best way to go.
                    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
                    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
                    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
                    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Also Tim's has the correct "return" selvage. The NJ blanket has a modern "tuck" selvage. Just my $0.02 .
                      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
                      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Tim allowed me to handle the original in his collection he had copied for this run of blankets. You can rest assured its an outstanding reproduction through and through. The repro is identical to the original in weave, color, and weight. You can't go wrong buying one of Tim's blankets!
                        [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
                        Handsome Company Mess
                        Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I just picked up a NHS blanket-they are suppose to be authentic as well. I swear this is a disease .
                          John Dunn
                          John Dunn

Comment

Be careful I think there may be a 12 step program for blankets. I have at least 7 authentic woobies myself. Also I would highly suggest not dealing with a certain NJ vendor. I have had a horrible and unnecessary dealing with him.
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Well, just for the sake of balance, I have had extremely good experiences with the Jersey Vendor, and never an issue with his products which are consistently excellent!

Comment

Working...
                              X