No announcement yet.

An early issue from the Richmond Depot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An early issue from the Richmond Depot?

Gents,

A pet project I am working on are the records of the 19th Mississippi Infantry, which has become my "pet" Mississippi ANV regiment (along with the 11th MS).

Now in the CSR of Capt. W.G. Martin there is a QM return which shows the following issue for November 4th 1861:

16 pr Pants @ $3.00
    12 pr Drawers @ $0.50
    21 Jackets @ $3.00

Here is link to fold3: http://www.fold3.com/image/#271|76764040

Finding a Special Requisition like this is odd for 1861, it has me wondering if these are perhaps early products of the Richmond Depot. Lets look at the possibilities:

State Issue clothing: Unlikely, in my opinion. I haven't heard of any MS state issued clothing before mid-1862, and then I've only seen issues of Overshirts and Frock Coats, never any Jackets.

Commutation: Maybe, but more often then not they would get money from the QM, not finished clothing, unless it was donated....

Richmond Issue: Also a maybe. The Colonel of the 19th, Christopher Mott, had been an officer in the Mississippi Regiment that Jefferson Davis commanded in the Mexican War. Perhaps Mott asked a favor of Davis and got some clothing for his men from the new Richmond depot? We'll probably never know, Mott was killed at Williamsburg in May 1862.

So what is the latest research into the early workings of the Richmond Depot?

Will MacDonald

Re: An early issue from the Richmond Depot?

Well, the requisition was drawn at the end of 1861 so like many of the gawdy initial uniforms, those quickly fell apart. One example I recently researched was that of the 4th Texas Inf'y; theirs fell apart en route the ruthless trek to Richmond in Louisiana. They were resupplied by the citizens there before moving on.

You may note that the price was stated. My understanding (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is that requisitions from depots were simply written as:

Blankets--70
    Shoes--77
    Socks--98
    Canteens--7
    Sibley Tent--1
    Wool Shirts--[blank]
    Overcoats--87
    Pants--24
    Drawers--26
    (e.g. (Co. B) Issued to Capt. B.F. Carter, Co. B, 4th Texas, 1/4 ending December 31, 1862)

While commutation contractors and private business were listed as:

Pr. Pants @ 3.50--33 Pr. Socks @ 50 cents--24
    Pr. Pants @ 5.50--22 Coats @ 5.75--2
    Pr. Pants @ 4.87--2 Coat @ 5.00--1
    Pr. Shoes @ 2.50--6 Axe--1
    Shoes @ 3.50--103 Helve-1
    Pr. Drawers @ 50 cents--20
    (e.g. (Co. H) Received 30 June 1862 by Capt. Charles E. Jones, cmd Co. H)

So that the prices were noted as to what to charge them. According to our research, the Richmond Manufacturing and Clothing Bureau would be charged the amount by, say, the Crenshaw & Co. Woolen Mills or Scottsville Mfg. Co. for a continuous sum OR a private tailor (individual) could state a precise amount owned then and there.

I believe that's how the system worked for Richmond. So, to answer your original question, appears privately-made and not depot-made. There is a difference!

J.C.S.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Jason,

That's a nice theory but unfortunately I've seen plenty of mid to late war QM forms with prices attached, making it highly unlikely that they all came from private sources, not even accounting for the wild inflation rampant in the private market. In fact, I've seen a letter from the Clothing Bureau that was supposed to be sent to all AQM's telling them what prices they were to charge for depot made clothing. IIRC, in 1863 a jacket was supposed to be $12 and in 1864 they raised the price to $14 due to inflation. In the open market the price was much more.

Will MacDonald

Comment

This listing for different prices in November of 1861 was a commutation bill-- they were making uniforms in Richmond-- it is hard to say what kind of jacket this was--

CSuniforms
        Tom Arliskas
        Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
        X