Long Enfield Rifle Sling, US issue style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Enfield Rifle Sling, US issue style

I'm looking for input on a possible identification of longer than normal black rifle slings for enfield rifles. I am aware of the questionable reproductions, I am interested in input on originals. I've seen one sling in a private collection that looks like an ordinary US rifle sling, except for the length and color. I have also found several in online auction houses. Here is a link to an auction for the slings in question.

Any input as to what these might be, and use with federal troops?

Here are some pics of the sling on an original ID'd to an Illinois regt.

In this last photo you can really see the length of the sling. Not sure how long it is, but it is definitely longer than 46"
    Scott Sheets
    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
    Dirty Shirts

Re: Long Enfield Rifle Sling, US issue style

Interesting. I haven't seen these. What I have seen a few times are American slings on Enfields with the top swivel moved to the middle band. That dies appear common and was covered in a different thread.
    Pat Brown

Comment

I believe you will find that these extra long US "Enfield" slings are actually post war Trapdoor Springfield slings.

I own one of these and if it is not on a rifle I will take some photos of it later today.
      Jim Kindred

Comment

Thanks for that information Jim. I've found a few matching the ones above listed on the various trapdoor collector sights. It was driving me a bit crazy trying to figure that out. I appreciate the help.
        Scott Sheets
        Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
        Dirty Shirts

Comment

In 1883 a one piece trapdoor sling replaced the two piece slings made from the older 46” sling. These slings are 68” long and all of the ones I have seen are marked Watervliet Arsenal. These slings were always in russet leather.

David Jarnagin
          djarnagin@bellsouth.net

Comment

Working...
          X