Original hardtack boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original hardtack boxes

If anyone here has examined original hardtack boxes, I would like to ask some specific questions. Alternatively, what museums have original boxes?
    Thanks!

Eric Giese
    Eric Giese, Hogg Mess

Re: Original hardtack boxes

The Museum of Connecticut History in Hartford, Conn., has an original A.T. Hanks hardtack crate. While I've not had the opportunity to have a hands-on examination of it, I do have several photos and corresponded with the museum to get many other details. The museum administrator is Dean Nelson, a really nice guy, and he took several detailed measurements for me and provided other info on it.

His number at the museum is 860-757-6534. His email is dnelson@cslib.org .

Hope this helps.
    A.J. Hamler

Comment

Thanks AJ! That's a big help and a good start.
      Eric Giese, Hogg Mess

Comment

Now here is a question. How common are hardtack crates? I would think there would not be that many.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

That's what I'm thinking Robert. But I have seen a few photos so there must be some in museums. And some of the purveyors of reproduced boxes seem to have had access to at least one box.
          Eric Giese, Hogg Mess

Comment

I believe that many of the reproductions have been based on descriptions and the photo of the officer sitting among stacked, stenciled boxes.

February 1863. "Captain J.W. Forsyth, provost marshal, Aquia Creek, Virginia." An army marches on its stomach, and the stomach's boots are made of dough. Or something like that. Wet plate glass negative.
            Paul McKee

Comment

The 1863 revision of the 1861 US Army Regulations gives dimensions for a hardtack box under the Misc. Section. I always figured that many of the reproductions (at least measurements) were derived from that. One problem from this is that contractors did not always conform to what the Army wanted.

The Quartermaster Officer sitting among the crates shows a lot of great details with those specific contractor's boxes when you blow up the picture to examine it. I have always found the tacking in the sappling banding very interesting. We are lucky that the box was turned upside with the stenciling facing the camera.
              Matthew Semple

Comment

Eric,
                Here's one I found via Google images.

v/r
                Mark SusnisClick image for larger version

Name:	hardtack crate.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	223735
                Mark Susnis
                Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Nice! I wish the photo was bigger.
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Yep. That one is in Paul Loane's collection. It's the same one pictured in Echoes and was on display last year in New Jersey. I've been exchanging emails with Mr. Loane. Thanks!
                    Eric Giese, Hogg Mess

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	army bread2.jpg
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	223750Click image for larger version

Name:	army bread18 x 25 ¼ x 9 ¾ high pine.jpg
Size:	582.1 KB
ID:	223751 There is one on Heritage Auctions site. http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?s...15&lotNo=57592
                      Eric "Woody" Woodward

Comment

Interesting. Crate dated June 1863 but supposedly made it to Gettysburg by early July. If true, it didn't spend any time stacked up at a warehouse someplace.

Sold at auction for a very pretty penny, indeed.
                        Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
                        X