Confederate made Shelter Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederate made Shelter Tents

I have not seen any documentation, only handled an original in the NC Museum of History. The canvas in it was somewhat slubby and with other flaws, not very tightly woven, and eight once would be my guess. The yarns were doubled, at least in the warp. I bought a drop cloth from Lowes that had the same weave and similar flaws to the NC shelter tent - but I assume you want to make tent flys and haversacks and not shelter tents...
    David Stone

Comment

The document signed by Major Bentley must date from after 29 Oct 1863 as he was not promoted to Major until that date.
      Alan Thrower
      Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
      confederateuniforms.org
      pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
      pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
      pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
      pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
      pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
      pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

Mr. Stone, thanks for the reply. You bring up another good point... What is everyone's thoughts on two yarn in weft one yarn in warp cotton duck? Period or no? I know single ply was of course common but what about the 2 yarn weft cotton duck?
        Respectfully,
        Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Originally posted by poilu1917 View Post
          Mr. Stone, thanks for the reply. You bring up another good point... What is everyone's thoughts on two yarn in weft one yarn in warp cotton duck? Period or no? I know single ply was of course common but what about the 2 yarn weft cotton duck?
          I'll have to check my notes - not sure if both warp and weft are doubled or not. Otherwise I havent looked at alot of textiles that closely. I'll try to remember tonight, as I did run across that page of notes the other day.
          David Stone

Comment

Working...
          X