Musket identity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musket identity?

I'm new to this forum so appreciate your patience with my question. I hope this is the correct place for this question.

I have a musket that I am trying to identify. I believe it was purchased by my Dad back in the 1950s from Bannerman's. I am wondering if it is a two band Belgian Enfield but the rear sight and ram rod don't look correct. Is this a Civil War musket?

Jack Mc Kie

Re: Musket identity?

Can you post a closeup picture of the ramrod? I will comment on initial impressions after that.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
    Matthew Semple

Comment

Hallo!

It is a "Brazilian Light Minie Rifle."

They were Liege, Belgian clones or better yet 'hybrids" combining the features of the British P1856/58/60 Short Rifles and the French
      Light Minie Rifle.

I have it somewhere around here, there is an image of a dead Confederate in the Petersburg trenches near one.

Herman Boker "imported' about 6,000 of them. New York and Ohio bought a number. As Ohio did with a number of arms, theirs are stamped "OHIO" on the wrist area.

These are also known as the M1855 Brazilian Naval Rifle. i don't recall the story, but 10,000 Liege made for Brazil somehow ended up sold to the USA and CAS.

In multiple places they NUG carry Brazilian navy stamps of a "D" and "C" and anchor.

Found it:

Yours has an incorrect replacement ramrod - appears to be a docked M1855/M1861. Its original ramnrod had a large head with a hole for a tool to torque the ball puller or wiper.

Curt
      Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM.
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

Thanks for the details! I am wondering how to descibe it and it's value since it will be sold. Dad bought it because of his interest in an ancestor (Joseph Bauer cavalry and artillery) in the CW. I shot it a few times in the 1960s but being a smooth bore it wasn't very accurate.

Jack Mc Kie

Comment

Working...
        X