Gaiters at Chancellorsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaiters at Chancellorsville

I'm looking for documentation for the wearing of gaiters at Chancellorsville.

As I recall, there is documentation that the Iron Brigade had them at the battle. I also recall some records that large numbers of gaiters were issued during the Winter of 1862.

Beyond those reports, I'm not finding much at present, even in the ORs. Any suggestions on alternate research sources would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob Carter
    Last edited by JustRob; 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM.
    Robert Carter
    69th NYSV, Co. A
    justrobnj@gmail.com
    www.69thsnyv.org

Re: Gaiters at Chancellorsville

Rob,

I want to say some of the 9 month PA units in the 5th Corps had them....along with shoulder scales.

And there is this pic of the 110th PA, taken no long before the battle, IIRC:

Will MacDonald

Comment

I do remember something about the Sixth Corps and gaiters, but it has been several years since I saw that. Try prior EBUFU announcements from five or ten years ago. You might find something there.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Rob, shoot Kevin O'Beirne an e-mail. I'll bet he has all the research from the Chancellorsville/Wilderness event in 2004 still. If you don't have his e-mail addy, PM me and I'll get it to you. I'm sure he wouldn't mind hearing from you.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Don Troiani's "Soldiers in America" [p. 194] documents issues of leggings, particularly in the 3rd Corps, to the AOP just prior to Chancellorsville. His book illustrates a pair worn by a member of the 115th Pennsylvania. There is also this excellent photo of the 110th Pennsylvania probably taken at the same time as the one in the post above while at Stoneman's Switch. This is a classic, no-frills photo of Federals ready for battle.
          Attached Files
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Here is an oft-published view of a company from the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry around the time of Chancellorsville. This is likely part of a larger series of photographs documenting this regiment prior to their breaking camp at Stoneman's Switch and heading out on the campaign. Two more from this series have been posted above and there are at least two or three others.

There are three pairs of the usual lace-up canvas gaiters and two pairs of tall leather leggings. The latter are in two different styles; note the lack of the front seam on the pair at left. Both styles of tall leather legging are identical to the two varieties issued and worn by the U.S. Sharpshooters during the war. The type lacking the front seam were issued to the sharpshooters in 1861/early 1862 while the slightly shorter, less form-fitting pairs with front seams were issued in early 1863 during a successful effort to have the sharpshooters clothed in new uniforms before an early April inspection by President Lincoln. Some accounts from the U.S.S.S. dating to mid-late April 1863 show that some men sold their leggings to infantrymen within their brigade, threw them away, or turned them in to the quartermaster. So far I've documented sharpshooters' tall leather leggings sold or given to members of the 110th Pennsylvania, 4th Maine, 12th New Hampshire, and the 10th Battery NY Light Artillery in the weeks prior to the Chancellorsville campaign.
            Attached Files
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
            X