How to pack a trotter knapsack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pack a trotter knapsack

I was wondering what people packed and how they packed a trotter style knapsack. I bought a copy of the Ross manufactured Trotter pack, and I'm having a hard time fitting more than a US blanket and a shelter half. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for the help.
    John Dunn

Re: How to pack a trotter knapsack

The method of packing and what you can carry depends upon the completeness of your knapsack.
    Do you have the frame? Do you have the overcoat straps?
    The frame gives you a defined area but somewhat restricts in the content.
    I have recently received an 1856 pattern from NJ****** and packed it with all of the necessaries.
    I have worn 1856 pattern knapsacks since 1962 and understand them. The concept is a bit different than a double bag.
    Firstly the main compartment was intended for the small stores, shirt spare drawers, socks, shoes, housewife, etc.
    The blanket/overcoat was intended to be folded to the size of the knapsack and strapped to the rear by the straps which encircle the knapsack.
    There were no waterproof sheets issued at that time to the British Army except the Rifle Brigade in the Crimea, "Green Jackets in the Crimea".
    The ground sheet and shelter half are easily carried under the flap as per the US custom of between the bags.
    I packed the bag with a civil war pattern blanket, the usual small stores, spare shirt and socks, ground sheet and shelter half under the flap. This left the outside free to accept an overcoat with my English mess tin, in its cover, strapped on top. Ready to go.
    One issue that is not clearly understood is the suspension of the knapsack.
    The Y straps and the addition of the half round dowel in the 1856 pattern were meant to stabilize the knapsack. However if not properly used the knapsack will sag and the dowel will rub against the back.
    You must use the 1858 orders and double wrap the Y straps to lift the knapsack up off your spine.
    Reference to Pierre Turners book on the British Army's Accoutrements illustrates this clearly.
    Good luck and happy marching

Erik Simundson
    Erik Simundson

Comment

Many thanks for the reply. I will do as you suggested with the shelter half between the bag and the flap. I will also look for Pierre Turners book. Thanks again.
      John Dunn

Comment

I toss everything in the bag save the blanket which I wear as a horseshoe roll.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Gents,

I have to set the record straight on the 'Trotter' name for the British knapsack of the civil war period. John Trotter had died and gone out of business by the early 1800s. The so-called Trotter knapsack indeed underwent at least half a dozen modifications during the early to mid-1800s with the final 'sealed' pattern being adopted in 1856, and it is this pattern that saw service by the Confederates during the war complete with the new 'Y' strap and hook and eye fasteners.

Dave Burt
          David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Originally posted by DBURT View Post
            Gents,

I have to set the record straight on the 'Trotter' name for the British knapsack of the civil war period. John Trotter had died and gone out of business by the early 1800s. The so-called Trotter knapsack indeed underwent at least half a dozen modifications during the early to mid-1800s with the final 'sealed' pattern being adopted in 1856, and it is this pattern that saw service by the Confederates during the war complete with the new 'Y' strap and hook and eye fasteners.

Dave Burt
            Sorry for the misnomer.
            John Dunn

Comment

Working...
            X