Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equpiment of the 26th and 31st USCT regiments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equpiment of the 26th and 31st USCT regiments.

I am doing research into these groups for an impression. Does anyone know a database that could be used or what type of records to look for?

Thanks

Sam
    Sam Levit

Re: Equpiment of the 26th and 31st USCT regiments.

I can't directly help, but perhaps the members of the 23rd USCT group (based out of northern VA) might be able to help. https://www.facebook.com/pages/23rd-...29442587128980
    Regards,
    Kevin Franklin
    3rd US Regulars, Company K

Comment

Please talk about the lack of USCT records, but I wonder how much is still at the National Archives unpulled by our reenacting and living history communities.
      Pat Brown

Comment

I actually went to the Archives a few weeks ago and looked at the regimental records for both regiments. However I think a second trip is needed because I only looked at regimental and company records, enlistments and orders. They did not give me good information on what they were equipped with. I think a few more visits are worth it.
        Sam Levit

Comment

I am unaware of any well established database for USCT. Doesn't mean there aren't sources out there it just means they will be harder to find. Even though all USCT regiments were federal units they usually originated in a particular state.

The 26th and 31st from my brief search appear to be New York regiments. You may have more luck checking archives from New York historical groups rather than the National Archives.

A quick search found this link...not much but its something.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I have done a lot of the research that one could do,even checking the state archives and military museum but I have come up shot. I have enough information to do an ok history of both units. Yet looking for stuff like equipment and action reports have been very tough to locate. Thanks Louis for the information, but as I said earlier I have pretty much viewed all information on the web for them, including that post.
            Sam Levit

Comment

Sam-

I remember seeing it mentioned in a Civil War Times issue a while ago about a African-American Nurse serving with the 33rd US Colored Troops. Susie Ann Taylor penned according to the article the only known memoir of a Black woman that served as a nurse on either side that has survived.

Sources for USCT are sadly few and far between so all avenues should probably be explored.

It seems you have done a fine bit of research but in case you have missed this gem follow the link below.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
              Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
              Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
              Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Working...
              X