Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket mirror

Pards,

I am currently making a pocket mirror, with a sliding cover. I am having trouble deteriming the best metod to attach the cover, all pictures I have seen of original are not detailed enough for me to determine. Repros I have seen are attached with a small brass nut and bolt. This doesn't seem accurate to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

James Hardwick

Re: Pocket mirror

Dear Mr. Hardwick:

You mention that you've seen pictures of this mirror -- were these present day photos of surviving artifacts? If so, if you look in the footnotes of the publications, it should list where the originals are located. If close enough to you, why not go take a look at them and see how they are fastened?

If too far for you to travel, perhaps there is someone on this board who does live close enough or who has a familiarity with the collection in question and can call and inquire. Or you could call yourself and ask the curatorial staff to describe the fastening to you. Sometimes they might even have a printed specification sheet they would send, sometimes this service is free, sometimes there is a charge attached.

Again, all of this assumes that at least some of the pictures you saw were of surviving originals, not solely period pictures of soldiers in the 1860s using the mirror you describe.

Hope that's helpful,
    Karin Timour
    "The Stories in the Socks" Women in the Civil War Conference, Richmond, VA, June 2004
    Period Knitting -- Socks, Hats, Balaclavas
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

I have two in my personal collection: One is riveted with a solid brass rivet, the other with a black jappaned mini grommet style rivet. Hope that is of some help. If you need further assistance, E-mail me.
      Michael Semann
      AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

I recently photographed one that the Union Drummer Boy had on hand, and it was attached with a sold brass rivet as shown below.
        Bob Clayton
        [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
        Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
        [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Working...
        X