Ammo Pack photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo Pack photo

I was looking at a photo of the dead soldier at Petersburg wearing a Tait jacket, and noticed several loose rounds, a loose bullet, and this ammo pack laying on the ground next to the departed. Upon enlarging the photo, I noticed this ammo pack with what appears to be a string coming from the wrapper, apparently to pull and zip open the pack. I have never seen anything like this, and could find nothing even after spending a couple of days going through all my files, books, photos, etc. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Might be an interesting way to make ammo packs for use or display. Anyone have any further info? None of my accumulated research materials produced anything on this.
    Regards,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ammopack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	230547
    Paul Manzo
    Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Re: Ammo Pack photo

Paul, It looks like an artillery Fuse pack to me.
    Brian Baird

Comment

It's still interesting with the pull string to tear it open. The idea that it might be a package of rifle ammo came from all of the loose rounds, and a bullet lying near it. Thanks for the information. The little things in the LOC photo collection fascinate me still after 30 years.
      Paul Manzo
      Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Yes, Artillery fuzes and friction primers were packaged that way.
        David H. Thomas
        Starr's NC Battery
        Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	223836Click image for larger version

Name:	friction primers.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	223834Click image for larger version

Name:	36 cal box..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	223835

These packs (fuse, friction primers and pistol pullets) are all Federal but use a wood block to protect the contents. Somewhere in the back regions of my brain it seems that the confederates sometimes used string in lieu of cloth tape for the fuse and primer packs. The Petersburg picture was take in the vicinity of Ft. Mahone which certainly had cannons. Back a number of years it was not uncommon to find quantities of unfired friction primers in the main works around Walnut Hill in Petersburg. The same could be said for fuses except there would be no dug relics to prove it.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
          X