Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1855 Knapsack Suspension straps (if you don't put them across your chest)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1855 Knapsack Suspension straps (if you don't put them across your chest)

Campaigners,

This is my first posting (so please take it easy on me). I haven't been able to find any answer to this question, although it doesn't really lend itself to a word search very well.
    I am aware that the 1855 double bag knapsack was originally intended to be used with the 1855 rifleman's belt. The belt had brass keepers or 'sliders' that the J-hooks on the two front suspension straps could hook onto, thus allowing the weight of the loaded knapsack to be carried with relative ease. I am also aware that the vast majority of photographic evidence shows that Soldiers compensated for the 1855 belt not being issued to them by crossing the front suspension straps across their chest. My personal experiments with the darn thing brings me little advantage when I cross the straps over my chest, but the load carries surprisingly well if I attach the straps to the belt. I have since notice here and there a few photographs that do show Soldiers using the suspension straps attached to their non-1855 belt. Unfortunately none of the pictures I've seen is clear enough to show how they are attaching the straps to the belt. The seemingly obvious method of hooking the J-hooks under the belt simply rolls the belts to the point that it is almost horizontal, when the pack is loaded. Another option that would seem to fit the bill would be to punch a couple holes in the leather belt that the J-hooks could latch into. Before I cut holes in my belt, I wanted to ask if anyone has seen a photograph that reveals the answer or has some other evidence/ideas. I'm going to try (like I said; first time and all) and give links to two pictures that show what I'm talking about. They aren't the best pictures (I know the Library of Congress photo is a studio shot). I know I've seen other examples of the suspension straps attached to the belt, but these illustrate the use and they were easy to find in a quick search. The second shot is from the Medford Historical Society, and I think the individuals in the shot took a couple pictures at the same setting. So, if anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://myloc.gov/Exhibitions/civilwa...bertdavis.aspx

http://myloc.gov/Exhibitions/civilwa...bertdavis.aspx

Travis Shick
    Travis Shick

Re: 1855 Knapsack Suspension straps (if you don't put them across your chest)

With the sword bayonet, I bet he is wearing the rifleman's belt.
    David H. Thomas
    Starr's NC Battery
    Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Hi there Travis,

I'm with David on the first image being a rifleman's belt due to the sword bayonet and, well, he's carrying a rifle ;). Tought to say 100% because the entire belt is blocked, but still, I'd say rifleman's belt. The second image didn't show, it was a repeat of the first, try posting it again.

While I'm very inclined, as many are much of the time, to say "do what works, they did" not having any evidence of my own to support that statement this time around, I won't say it. It does, indeed, make sense that one of the many soldiers back then would have hooked those straps onto their belts. I tried it once and the pack rode nicely. Now ya got me wanting to dig into photos!

Best,
      [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

I think this fella stands a better chance of having his straps hooked onto his "normal" belt.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...1476/resource/

You can even see the brass studs that the photographer was nice enough to tint with gold for us. Still tough to tell exactly how they are hooked on the belt.
        [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

From personal experience and experimentation, I found that attaching the knapsack hooks to the bottom of my belt distributed the weight much more evenly and made the knapsack ride better on the back. It also made it much easier to put on and remove. My 2 cents.
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Gentlemen,
            Thank you for your responses. The link to the picture was very interesting. Thank you, mutt. I must addmit the second picture is also Soldiers armed with sword bayonets. I'll try and post the link again. If it does post, notice the Corp. sittingon the left. I could be wrong, but his belt buckle seems too wide to be the 1855 rifleman's belt? Perhaps the low resolution is tricking me. I will also try and see if I can find any pictures of anyone using the straps with a bayonet.

http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/knapsacks/10.jpg

Travis Shick
            Travis Shick

Comment

1855 Knapsack Suspension straps (if you don't put them across your chest)

At RRII, I poked two new holes in my waistbelt for this purpose, and slid the j-hooks in so the hooks rode outside the belt, not poking me in the stomach.

Handy field mod for a long march through rough territory.
              Steve Pelikan
              WA state
              Yes, I sewed/knitted that.

With respect and admiration
              Pvt. Paul Dumphy
              Co. B, 31st Missouri (US)

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
                From personal experience and experimentation, I found that attaching the knapsack hooks to the bottom of my belt distributed the weight much more evenly and made the knapsack ride better on the back. It also made it much easier to put on and remove. My 2 cents.
                I have done the above and agree. It is the easiest way to go.

I also have used two riflemans belt supports and they work also. Problem is finding the rifleman's belt parts. You used could buy the supports for a dollar at relic shows. Now you can't find them.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Travis,
                  is it possible that the "clips" from the 1855 rifleman's belt were used on the regular belt? Its been 20 plus years since I did any re enacting, but I am thinking about getting back into it , I have 2 such clips on my belt that I bought from Jarnagin over 20 years ago. I do not se them listed on their website, but the do show on their 1855 riflemen's belt. I wonder if these would have been offered by sutlers during the war?
                  Rick Mace

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fatigue_marching_order.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	224423

So, I think this may provide an answer. This is the official version of "fatigue Marching Order" (from the Quartermaster Museum website). This Soldier has a socket bayonet,and his straps appear to be attached to the belt. I wish this picture was of higher resolution (perhaps someone else has a better copy) but it looks like the j-hook buttons are showing around the level of the belt that would indicate they are attached through the belt. I know this is only one posed picture, but this may indicate what was the intended or assumed to be the correct use without the rifleman's belt. I'm not real familiar with the rifleman's belt supports. So, does this look like they pirated a couple supports off an old rifleman's belt, hooked the j-hooks under the belt, or ran the hooks through the belt? Comparing the level of the button of the hook on the Soldiers right to the top of the belt buckle, I'd guess through, but I welcome more informed opinions.

Mr. Shick, please remember to sign all your individual posts per forum rules. You can also add an auto signature by going through your account settings. - Silas Tackitt, one of the moderators
                    Last edited by Silas; 09-27-2014, 12:06 PM. Reason: Signature violation
                    Travis Shick

Comment

Sorry, let me try an get this signature thing fixed.
                      Travis Shick
                      Travis Shick

Comment

Unfortunately, I really wouldn't rely on the 1865 Quartermaster photos for anything more than what the stuff looked like when new. There are several errors in method of wear throughout the series. Case in point: note the side the model is wearing his haversack on.
                        Paul McKee

Comment

I've contacted Jarnigan's about getting "just" the belt sliders and no dice. I have obtained some originals from eBay and they do work well, even with the issue belt.

On a side note, I don't have any handy, but there are numerous photos of "California Joe" aka Truman Head of Berdan's Sharpshooters. The most visible is a posed photo of him and Col Berdan. Joe carried a private purchase 1859 Infantry Sharps (single trigger and set up for the saber bayonet) as opposed to the later issued 1859 Berdan's Sharps (double set trigger and angular bayonet). The photos show an issue belt (not the 1855 Rifleman's Belt) with his saber bayonet in a frog. Possibly examination of units that were issued the '59 Infantry Sharps would lead to additional evidence. The '63 Infantry Sharps did away with the saber bayonet and used the angular bayonet. The other difference is that the '63 did not have a patch box where the '59 did.
                          Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
                          www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
                          http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Working...
                          X