Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quality differences

Folks,
    Just retuned from a trip this weekend with some good pics. I wanted to post this picture of a musicians jacket from the Sharpsburg VC. Pay close attention to the quality of the button holes. I find it amazing how the quality can differ from original to original.

No I am not supporting crappy made reproductions, but I cant see how this one made it through inspection.

I will be posting about 50 pics of original garments in the image portion when I get time today. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Matt Caldwell; 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Re: quality differences

It should be noted that that coat was NOT issued like that. It is an original 5th NYSV uniform that someone had added buttonholes to. They don't know if this was a post war addition or something done in the field, but again, that coat was not issued with buttonholes like that.

PS Matt, it was good to see you, Brian and your wives on Saturday, sorry I couldn't chat longer.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Glad you posted this picture. I have a jacket from one of the supposedly good vendors that have button holes which are not as bad as in your pic but were very sloppy in construction and alignment. I have rationalized that some original garmets probably had the same flaws and sloppy sewing and my coat represents one of these. Nice to see that I was right.

Just read Chris's post and now my bubble is burst!
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Daley
        It should be noted that that coat was NOT issued like that. It is an original 5th NYSV uniform that someone had added buttonholes to. They don't know if this was a post war addition or something done in the field, but again, that coat was not issued with buttonholes like that.

PS Matt, it was good to see you, Brian and your wives on Saturday, sorry I couldn't chat longer.
        Chris, Thanks for posting the particulars on that jacket. I wasnt certain about the history of the button holes other than what was posted next to it. I am actually relieved that you showed that these were not contract or depot produced.

It was a pleasure seeing you and Miller again as well. We had a blast. Take care.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Im trying to figure out what is going on with this jacket. Did somebody pull out the false vest of this jacket, and cobble together a more or less traditional placket?
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
            Im trying to figure out what is going on with this jacket. Did somebody pull out the false vest of this jacket, and cobble together a more or less traditional placket?
            No, 5th NYSV jackets did not have false vests (based on 5 surviving originals, scores of photos and QM records).

The jacket is tiny and my 2 1/2 year old might fit into it unbuttoned, but buttoned, I can't imagine anyone fitting into it. (except for a teddy bear from Boyd's Bears) :tounge_sm

The jacket is unidentified, but the story is that some CS drummer boy picked it up, cut buttonholes into and wore in the field. I think that is a load of bull and no one has been able to prove an ounce of that story. :angry_smi

Most likely somone after the war cut buttonholes into as a children's costume (but again, that hasn't been proven, it's just my hypothesis). :confused_
            [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

"The jacket is unidentified, but the story is that some CS drummer boy picked it up, cut buttonholes into and wore in the field. I think that is a load of bull and no one has been able to prove an ounce of that story."

While a very small jacket, I am not aware of the story linking that jacket to a musician on either side.

That jacket's story, as I understand it and as told in the Antietam edition of Time-Life's "Voices of the Civil War," is that it was picked up as a trophy from the Manassas battlefield by a member of the Texas Brigade and was subsequently abandoned in the Miller cornfield during the Texan's repulse.

It was reportedly recovered from the Antietam battlefield shortly after the battle. The fact that the 5th was hard hit at Chinn Ridge (Second Manassas) by the Texans and that the Texans went on to fight in the Cornfield only a month later lends a certainly puts the story in the realm of possibility. Also, the 5th NY was in reserve during the actions at Antietam and didn't really get near the Cornfield.

I believe it is fairly well accepted that the jacket was a battlefield souvenier, but the story of how it got into the Cornfield at Antietam is conjectural. I personally like the story and kinda hope it's true.
              John Stillwagon

Comment

Chris,

It was good meeting you, even if it was for only a few minutes. I hope we run into each other again in the future. By the way, I need to clarify that Katie is not my wife! I slipped up when I did not introduce her. :confused_

Brian White
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross
                  Chris,

It was good meeting you, even if it was for only a few minutes. I hope we run into each other again in the future. By the way, I need to clarify that Katie is not my wife! I slipped up when I did not introduce her. :confused_

Brian White
                  Brian,
                  It was very weird to bump into you and I just happened to have the Tilson Coat photos on me, I don't usually walk around with them in my coat pocket waiting for the chance to meet you. I guess the coincidence Gods were on our side this weekend. (It's a small hobby after all)It was good to meet you as well, sorry for the 'wife' slip up, I honestly wasn't paid to type that! :tounge_sm

John,
                  My story comes from an NPS employee who told me the coat has no firm history, (although the Cornfield story is plausible) I was just sharing the little information I had on the topic.

Comment

Working...
                  X