Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th Georgia Infantry question

Hello

A friend is getting ready for the 150th of Olustee and I am looking for information on the 6th GA IN.. Mainly records or quarter master reports from Charleston or Savannah.. uniforms or pics.. I have used the search function and google.. Any help would be great!! He is also having a hand sewn replica of the 6th GA flag made.

Re: 6th Georgia Infantry question

Chris,

This is an example of what I've come up with. The paperwork I've reviewed so far, would suggest that the 6th Georgia Infantry was receiving regular issues from the Quartermaster in Charleston. It would be likely that the jackets would be what we describe as the Charleston Depot pattern. I also noted that there were several issues of caps.

(No. 40.)
    SPECIAL REQUISITION.

For 54 Fifty four Jackets
    54 Fifty four pr Pants
    51 Fifty one pr Socks
    9 Nine Shirts
    6 Six Blankets
    1 One Axe
    3 Three pair pants
    3 Two “ Shoes

I certify that the above Requisition is correct, and that the articles specified are absolutely requisite for the public service, rendered by the following circumstances: To supply destitute soldiers of Co. A 6th Geo Regt
    Eugene P. Burnet
    Capt. Co. “A” 6th Geo. Reg.

Capt. Jno. H. Gray A.Q. M. will issue the articles specified in the above Requisition.
    W M Arnold Lt. Col. Commanding.

Received at James Island S.C. the 31st of October 1863 of Capt Jno H Gray Assistant Quartermaster, Fifty four (54) Jackets; Sixty one (60) pr Pants; Fifty- one (51) pr Socks, Nine (9) Shirts; Six (6) Blankets; One (1) Axe; Two (2) pr Shoes
    In full of the above Requisition.
    Eugene P. Burnet
    Capt Co A 6th Geo Regt

No. 40.)
    SPECIAL REQUISITION.
    For
    3 Three pr Boots
    1 One “ Shoes @ $ 10.00
    14 Fourteen “ Shoes
    6 Blankets
    3 Three Camp Kettles & Five Mess Pans
    1 One Over coat
    54 Fifty-four Drawers
    4 Four Jackets
    2 Two Caps
    1 one pr Shoes
    2 Two “ “

I certify that the above requisition is correct; and that the articles are absolutely requisite for the public service, rendered so by the following circumstances: To supply destitute soldiers of Company A 6th Geo Regt
    Eugene Burnett- Capt Co “A” 6 Geo
    Capt. Jno. H. Gray Assistant Quartermaster C.S Army will supply the articles specified in the above requisition.
    W M Arnold Lt. Col-
    COMMANDING.
    Received at James Island, S. C. the 30th of November1863 Capt. Jno. H. Gray Asst. Quartermaster C. S. Army, Three (3) pr Boots; Eighteen (18) pr Shoes; Six (6) Blankets; Three (3) Camp Kettles; One (1) Overcoat; Fifty-four (54) Shirts; 50 pr Drawers; Four (4) Jackets; 2 Caps & 5 Mess Pans
    In full of the above requisition.
    (SIGNED DUPLICATES.)

I will post more as I sort it out.

James Permane
    James Permane,

15th U.S. Infantry/ 4th Fla. Vol. Inf'y

http://battleofolustee.org/

Comment

Outstanding!! Thanks for the info anything on Co D?.. There will be a small contengent (as of now) that will be coming from Missouri to portray the 6th GA so this information is very helpful!!

Comment

For Company "D".

(No. 40.)
        SPECIAL REQUISITION.

Aug 4th 1863 For 2 Two Jackets @ $ 17.00
        “ 4 Four pr Pants “ 9.00
        “ 9 Nine Shirts “ 3.00
        “ 1 One “ Shoes “ 6.00
        “ 3 Three “ “ “ 11.00
        “ 6 Six “ Socks “ 1.00
        “ 3 Three Caps “ 2.00

I certify that the above Requisition is correct, and the articles specified are absolutely requisite for the public service, rendered so by the following circumstances:
        To supply destitute soldiers of Co. D 6th Geo Regt
        Thos R Holland, Lt comdg Co (D) 6th Ga Regt
        Capt. Jno. H. Gray A.Q. M. will issue the articles specified in the above Requisition.
        Jno. T. Lofton Col. Commanding, 6th Ga. Regt.
        RECEIVED at James Island S.C. the 4th of August 1863, of Capt. Jno. H. Gray Assistant Quartermaster,
        Two (2) Jackets; Four (4) pr Pants; Nine (9) Shirts; Six (6) pr Drawers; Four pr Shoes; Six (6) pr Socks; Three (3) Caps
        In full of the above Requisition.
        Thos. R Holland
        Lt. Comdg Co (D) 6th Ga Regt

(No. 40)
        SPECIAL REQUISITION.

For
        1 One pr Boots
        15 Fifteen pr shoes
        4 Four Blankets
        3 Three Camp Kettles
        1 One Over coat
        26 Twenty-six Shirts
        21 Twenty-one pr Drawers
        4 Four Mess Pans
        I certify that the above requisition is correct; and that the articles specified are absolutely requisite for the public service, rendered by the following circumstances: To supply destitute soldiers of Company D. 6th Geo. Regiment
        Thos R Holland
        Capt comdg Co. D 6th Ga Regt
        Capt Jno. H. Gray Assistant Quartermaster C.S. Army will issue the articles specified in the above requisition.
        W.M. Arnold, Lt. Col.
        COMMANDING.
        RECEIVED at James Island S.C. the 30th of November 1863 of Capt Jno H Gray Asst Quartermaster C.S. Army.
        1 pr Boots; 15 pr Shoes; 4 Blankets; 3 Camp kettles; 1 Over coat; 26 Shirts; 21 pr Drawers; 4 Mess Pans.
        (SIGNED DUPLICATES.)
        Thos R Holland
        Capt Co D 6th Ga Regt
        James Permane,

Comment

Interesting it does not seem that they drew much of anything. Are there any ordnance reports for the Reg? All of this information is great, outstanding work! Please keep it coming.
          Do the rest of the QM reports seem to show a lack of issue? Also what are your sources?

Again thanks for the information!
          Last edited by creed1939; 06-16-2013, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Chris,

I haven't found any ordnance returns, yet. I have found large clothing issues from shortly after the battle.

(No. 40.)
            SPECIAL REQUISITION.

For
            10 Ten Jackets
            21 Twenty-one pr Pants
            15 Fifteen “ Shoes
            20 Twenty Shirts
            22 Twenty-two pr Drawers
            4 Four Blankets
            1 One Wall tent

I certify that the above requisition is correct; and that the articles specified are absolutely requisite for the public service, rendered so by the following circumstances: To supply destitute soldiers of Co D 6th Geo. Regt.

Thos R Holland Capt cmdg Co D, 6th Ga Regt
            Capt Jno H Gray Asst. Quartermaster C.S. Army will issue the articles specified in the above requisition.
            W.M. Arnold Lt. Col.
            COMMANDING.
            RECEIVED at Baldwin Fla. the 1st of March 1864 of Capt Jno H Gray Asst. Quartermaster C.S.Army. Ten Jackets; twenty one pr pants; fifteen pr shoes, twenty shirts twenty two pr drawers, four blankets One Wall tent.
            (SIGNED DUPLICATES.)
            Thos R Holland Co. D. 6th Geo Regt

and in April-

(No. 40.)
            SPECIAL REQUISITION.

For
            Forty five (45) prs. Shoes
            One (1) Wall Tents
            Three (3) Army Tents
            Four (4) Blankets
            Three (3) Caps
            Twenty five (25) Jackets
            Thirty two (32) pairs Pants
            Eight (8) Shirts
            Twenty two (22) Pairs Drawers
            Twenty Seven (27) Pairs Socks
            Two (2) Skillets & lids

Received at Camp Milton the 10th of April 1864 of Capt. Jno H. Gray Asst. Quartermaster, C.S. Army

From what I gather from the requisitions, the 6th Georgia Regiment was generally well supplied. Most of the requisitions were from Jonathon H. Gray, Assistant Quartermaster at Charleston.

These reports are from the National Archives via Fold3.com.
            James Permane,

Comment

Interesting stuff.. there seams to be a large gaps or missing reports during 63.. Thank you again!! If you find anything else please post it.

Comment

That's the frustration of this kind of research. You think you are on a trail and then it dead ends. There is some neat paperwork from the period when the regiment was at Yorktown in '62. Requisitions for lots of Sibley tents and building materials for winter quarters. Not really campaigner subject matter, though. Found early requisitions ('61) for musket cartridges and caps.
                James Permane,

Comment

That is neet stuff!! Maybe the C company records fill the gap as we see an issue in. Oct 63 then smaller ones.. do any other companies reflect this trend? Or similarity of issue during same time periods?

Comment

Working...
                  X