Possible Blanket source.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Blanket source.

I stumbled across this website today while looking for something else. While the rest of their products do not come close to anything I personally would use, these blankets look good. Does anybody have any first had experience with these? My router is showing Family Heirloom.

Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: Possible Blanket source.

The page list's it as being made by FHW...
    Scott Sheets
    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
    Dirty Shirts

Comment

The date on the pictures is November of 2006, so I don't know if this is an updated site or they have kept them for almost 7 years.

I have one of this blanket and I absolutely love it. It is a FHW blanket, and is made with the period correct return selvage. When I received mine, it had a different US sewn into it, but I have since changed it. I spoke with Pat @ FHW about it after I got mine used a couple of years ago. This blanket was made after he made a visit to the Gettysburg museum. A ranger took him out to a barn “storage shed” that was filled with various items not on display. He made several observations from dozens of blankets they showed him. Some of them were narrow, around 54” wide, some over 80” wide. Some 60” long, others over 100” long. The stripes on the ends varied in width from around 2” to 5”. Some seemed to be made “in a hurry”, others were nicely woven. There were even a few with the stripes “painted on” rather that woven. The colors ran the gamut from varying colors of gray (some almost white) to dark almost black, greenish, brown, tan, & burgundy. Just like everything else, there was the published “standard”, but once bailed, noone knew the color, size, or make of them. All of these “examples” he saw were the basis of this blanket. He did say he expected them to tighten up a bit more than they did, hence the looser weave appearance and slightly longer length, but made a point to say that these are nowhere near outside the dimensions of originals he has seen personally. He went on in his descriptions of others he saw that day, but they were along the same lines. The 2 photos show some shod in the blanket, mine has lots, and all different colors (green, red, blue, purple, white, & black). The gentleman I bought mine from (I can't remember if it was here or another forum) had 2, and the other buyer sold his about 6 months ago, again either here or another forum. Hope this helps.
      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Oh, I forgot.

Also, don't forget S&S has FHW blankets for sale. There is also a Charlie Childs Danish Exchange blanket for sale on eBay (I don't know why, but someone had decided to sell one). I'd link to it, but I don't know if thats allowed. If you do a search for Civil War blanket, it comes up, right now its $122.50 which is over half the price I've seen others sell for here and in another forum.
        Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I am the high bidder on Ebay by the way! I almost won a North Carolina blanket last week, but got sniped at the last second.
          Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 06-23-2013, 12:23 AM.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

I didn't realize that site was so old. I am hoping they have more, because it seems there is always folks looking for correct Federal blankets. I was able to pick up what I believe to be a FHW Fed blanket a while back from a guy that sold automotive stickers!
            Robert Johnson

Comment

If anything qualifies as an "investment" in the CW blanket world, its Charlie's 5 pound work of art. Its not easy cramming one into a safety deposit box...:wink_smil
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                If anything qualifies as an "investment" in the CW blanket world, its Charlie's 5 pound work of art. Its not easy cramming one into a safety deposit box...:wink_smil
                And now I have two. :tounge_sm
                Robert Johnson

Comment

Mike Barnes stated that there is evidence of some blankets with painted stripes. ( The stripes on the ends varied in width from around 2” to 5”. Some seemed to be made “in a hurry”, others were nicely woven. There were even a few with the stripes “painted on” rather that woven.)

Does anyone have documentation on these blankets with painted stripes or has anyone examined an original with painted stripes? Thanks.

George Hardy
                  Sablearm
                  Hannibal Guards

Comment

This was information told to me by Pat Klein of FHW, and was a description of the different blankets he saw in Gettysburg. I'm sure he could give you a more detailed description, or the museum may have a record of them. However I didn't mention the blanket with a printed US in the center that is referenced in both CRRC volumes, "Notes on the Federal Issue Civil War Blanket" by Fred Gaede, and in "Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Union" by Time Life Books. As an aside, I know Tim Sheads of S&S in Gettysburg has forgotten more about blankets than I'll ever know. He has a pile of info on blankets from both Fred Gaede and Dave Juergula (I don't know the proper spelling of Dave's last name, sorry). He may also be able to shed some light on this.

Hope my .02¢ helps to clarify this.
                    Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Excellent. Thanks Mike. I will give Pat a call and Tim Sheads as well.

George Hardy
                      Sablearm
                      Hannibal Guards

Comment

Working...
                      X