12th Georgia Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12th Georgia Infantry

Good afternoon, everyone. This is my first post, please be patient!

I'm writing an historical novel (hobby only) based in part on my great great grandfather, Stephen Swain, who was from Marion County Georgia, and fought with the 12th Georgia. I've read Lee and Jackson's Bloody Twelfth, the History of the Doles-Cook Brigade and the History of Marion County. Great sources of information, but I'm looking for evidence of what type of arms they were issued. I've read that in the battle of McDowell, the 12th suffered high casualties since they were armed with smooth bore muskets and their opposing Federal troops had rifles.

However, I've not seen a mention of a new issue of rifles afterwards, but the regiment acquitted itself admirable during the rest of the war.

Has anyone come across any documentation of their arms? Being from rural SW Georgia away from the larger more prominent cities, I'm certain they did not get the first pick of equipment, at least early on.

I appreciate your responses, as well as any additional information on the 12th.

Thanks, Matt Harris

Re: 12th Georgia Infantry

Matt,

You need to go to the Georgia Department of Archives, at the end of every roll there is a place that the issue of guns, cartridges, caps, hats, shirts. I think you got the picture. Good luck and I hope to see your book soon.
    Capt. Ken Bridgers
    AFB/ 3rd Tennessee/ 66th Georgia

Comment

Re: 12th Georgia Infantry

Thanks very much, Ken. I will give it a shot. Matt

Comment

Working...
      X