1856/1860 Enfield rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1856/1860 Enfield rifles

I'm working on a rifle project and was wondering if anyone had an original and could take a picture of the trigger guard from the bottom. I'm trying to determine screw placement. I've got pictures of originals from every angle but that one.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram

Re: 1856/1860 Enfield rifles

This is a snider conversion, only pics I could find that showed the trigger guard. Screw placement should be the same with of course the handmade element of rifles imported during the ACW coming into play.

Well that did not work like I planned. Under the above link, go to antique longarms and scroll down to item 4359.
    Last edited by GPM; 07-14-2013, 09:22 AM.
    Greg Myers

Comment

Maybe this will work.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1856 trigger guard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	223863

I have noticed while looking at partial pics of t/g's from College Hill that the placement of the screws does vary.
      Greg Myers

Comment

Greg,
        That's perfect. The casting I received from overseas wasn't clear about the location of all the screwholes. I knew the one for the sling swivel would be near the bottom, and the one closest to the trigger was visible in the casting, but the rest of the trigger guard was so long that it seemed intuitive that there would be another screw there. Thanks again!
        Kind Regards,
        Andrew Jerram

Comment

Did you order from Peter Dyson? If so, how did the transactin go? Shipping time?
          Greg Myers

Comment

Transaction was fine, they're very nice to deal with. Shipping time was about a week. They didn't have all of my parts so they are shipping two separate shipments without additional shipping cost. It's my first time trying to work with castings, so I don't know if I can give an accurate comparison for anyone. There were a few deep imperfections which took a lot of work, thankfully one was taken away by the aforementioned screw hole. I did find another site (after I ordered from Dyson) that appears to be cheaper. No idea what their turn around time is like. http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalo...ms/(736_D).htm. My next project will be either an 1856 or an 1858 bar on band, so I'll order from them and give a comparison. Look for it in 2014. If anyone is interested, I started a Facebook group entitled 1860 enfield project. I'm posting questions and pics for friends
            Kind Regards,
            Andrew Jerram

Comment

the Rifle Shoppe parts are very good. If they have the parts in stock I've always received them quickly. If they have to order them waiting a year or longer is not uncommon. I got an e-mail from them a few days ago that a part I ordered a year and a half ago will ship shortly. A long wait but I could not get this particular part anywhere else.
              Greg Myers

Comment

Greg,
                I agree! Dyson wasn't able to get me my buttplate and nose cap in time so I ordered them from Rifle Shoppe and not only were the parts cheaper, but the castings were incredible. While Dysons looked like it came out of a blacksmith's fire and took hours upon hours of fitting and polishing, the RS ones were flawless, required minimal fitting, and the nosecap was so clear you could see the original makers stamps. I've got a Facebook group detailing my project if anyone is interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/199222676907435/
                Kind Regards,
                Andrew Jerram

Comment

Working...
                X