Enfield Combination Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield Combination Tools

I'm looking into the different types of Enfield Combination Tools as were imported by the Confederacy. If anyone has a dug relic or has seen one in a museum or private collection that has provenance to the war and they would like to share the information I would be grateful.

It seems that the most popular relics are the No #1 pattern 'Y'-Tools - both Sgt and privates, and the No#4 Sgt's T-Tool.

Any additional information will be most welcome.

Dave Burt
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: Enfield Combination Tools

Dave,

I don't know if this will be of any use, because there is no provenance, but I have a Pattern No. 1 Sgt's tool that was dug ... but I don't know where it was dug. I bought it in an antique store in central Texas in 1982 ($5).

Geoff Walden

Comment

Geoff, yes that will help. Would it be possible to share pictures of it? It seems the more I look into this the more #1 Y-tools are showing up, along with the #4 Sergeant's T-tools.

Dave Burt
      David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Burt: I have only dug one incomplete Enfield tool. Here is a pic of it. If you want any more views I can e-mail them to you. I may be able to come up with another tool from a friend. This one came from what is now Pamplin Park. For what it's worth we found more CS tools in that area than any other type. Included a picture of a couple of the CS tools also. I am still looking through my iron boxes to see if there are any other enfield tool parts hiding. Click image for larger version

Name:	CS cone wrench 002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	223897Click image for larger version

Name:	Enfield tool3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	223896
        I also have another I would like you to take a look at. I think it is an East India one. I will e-mail a picture later.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim,
          The second one is certainly a Sgt's tool, almost certainly a Pattern #4. It is the excavated Enfield patterns that I'm primarily interested in, as I'm trying to find out just what types the Confederates were importing.
          It seems they were importing the regular army type and the volunteer style Y tool also. If you find anymore please contact me at my new email address:
          dburt67@outlook.com

Dave Burt

Comment

Working...
          X