Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: ramrod for unaltered Mississippi Rifle

Gents,

I have been researching which type of ramrod originally came on M1841 rifles and cannot come to a clear answer. Per Mr. Schmidt's M1841 Monograph, the ramrod is brass tipped, trumpet shape, and concave. However, I have also seen original examples that have a brass-tipped, trumpet shape, flat-tip ramrod. Were there flat-tipped ramrods (brass tip, trumpet shape) originally supplied with Mississippi Rifles? If it is of any consequence, I am particularly interested in what type the Harpers Ferry-produced .54 rifles, unaltered, originally had.

Thanks.
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Re: Question re: ramrod for unaltered Mississippi Rifle

My Harper's Ferry .54 caliber has a brass-tipped ramrod. I believe the M1841s that were converted to .58 caliber were fitted with the other style ramrods.
    Tristan Galloway

Comment

Is the brass tip flat or concave?

Perhaps a picture of what I'm trying to communicate would help. The concave is on the left, the flat on the right. These are reproduction ramrods, but it's the only comparison shot I have:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ramrod.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	223917
      Last edited by GenuineInformation; 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM. Reason: picture
      Joe Knight

Armory Guards
      Yocona Rip Raps
      "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

It's almost like a hybrid between your two. I believe is started life as flat, but gained a slight concavity with use (not manufactured this way). It is less "bell-shaped" than your flat one.
        Tristan Galloway

Comment

Hallo!

Dunno.

It would make for an interesting "empirical" original survey.

IMHO, and experience...

The arsenal "standard" for the original M1841 Rifle was a flared (aka "trumpet") brass headed ramrod. The tip was concave to allow it to sit on the round ball. Aside from that being referenced in several bibles, it is what the surviving inspection die set at Harper's Ferry support.

The next arsenal standard was a slightly modified version used on the arsenal .58 alterations where the concave portion of the tip is milled to better match the pointed end of a Minie ball.

Next are contractor made M1841's where the ramrods are slightly different but different enough to being down the wrath of government inspectors.
          Then there are new ramrods made entirely of iron/steel with a tulip type end for Minie balls in the .58 alterations. (I believe these to be contractor made and not arsenal.)

And last are ramrods that do not fit the above. Ramrods can often be the most problematic area of guns because of their loss rate, and replacements being found that work or can be made to work by generations of surplus dealers, owners, gun dealers, antique dealers, and collectors. M1841's are sometimes found with M1803 Rifle and M1817 Common Rifle ramrods. And sometimes with cut down "M1795," et al, button end types cut down. Etc., etc.

Curt
          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM.
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks so much, Curt. I was hoping you would respond. In my research, I even found a very crude but brass-tipped ramrod, nominally for a Mississippi Rifle, where the brass had been drilled from the "point" of the cone up to the flared end, placed upon the iron or steel ramrod, and the exposed tip of iron/steel peened to secure the brass tip. That was an interesting one.
            Joe Knight

Armory Guards
            Yocona Rip Raps
            "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

And Tristan--thanks for your response, too! I missed your comment at first--so sorry for not acknowledging it. You have been most helpful.

Best,
              JSK
              Joe Knight

Armory Guards
              Yocona Rip Raps
              "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

You are most welcome. Curt's reply was excellent.
                Tristan Galloway

Comment

Working...
                X