Private Purchase Spencer Carbines and Rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Purchase Spencer Carbines and Rifles

Does anyone have a source of records stating the private purchasing of Spencer carbines and rifles (such records might not exist, as it would have been amongst private buyers)? In short, did infantrymen purchase exclusively the rifle models of the weapon, or did they purchase the carbines as well?

Thank you for any information in this regard.

All the best,
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Private Purchase Spencer Carbines and Rifles

Hallo!

I have never, use of a Universal so noted, (yet) come across or read of private purchase military Spencer carbines.

In brief... the money to be made in arms was in government contracts, but many of the makers NUG accepted civilian private purchase orders at the factory. Sometimes it was concurrent, other times as with the M1873 Colt Peacemaker Colt held back for five years.

But, I suspect there are no instances because the Ordnance Department got 'greedy' for Spencer carbines and while they were just about finished with their contract for 34,500 (IIRC, at 30,550) the Ordnance Dept set aside that contract late in May of 1864 and agreed to accept the ENTIRE carbine production of Spencer through September 1865. (1176 would go to Massachusetts state in early 1865.)

Not really related, but there was a large sale of private purchase Spencer rifles and carbines immediately AFTER the War as the OD found that many men were mustering out and taking their muskets, carbines, and revolvers with them.
    Trying to make some money on that... ;) :) General Dyer offered sale prices Spencer carbines wit or without accoutrements were sold at $10.00 each. All in all, 2844 rifles were sold, and 8289 carbines.

IMHO, I am generally biased against everyday infantrymen or cavalrymen privately purchasing or battle-field "liberating" the odd-ball weapon because of ammunition supply. Once the initial "find" of ammo was shot away, Ordnance folks either could not, or would not resupply.. and scrounging a battlefield or "trading"' with units armed with the same weapons became problematical in the field.

However, I can think of one exception, that of Truman Head (aka Old Californy aka California Joe) of Company "C," 1st USSS, bought a NM1859 Sharps Rifle and sword bayonet from a Sharps agent in October 1861 well in advance of them getting M1855 Colt Revolving rifles after February 1862, and definitely well before the Berdan Contract NM1859 rifles after May of 1862.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The 118th New York Infantry received a mixture of Spencer Rifles and carbines on September 28, 1864, just prior to the capture of Ft. Harrison. A photo of their color guard shows both in use. While not "private purchase," they were in the ranks just the same. Their regimental history is available from Google books where you can glean more detailed info.
      Attached Files
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

"Blue Lightning" on Wilders Brigade, their first round of rifles were privately secured. The only records that currently exist are those of the 72nd Indiana, though the range for the other regiments are somewhat known.

John Walsh
        John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

Working...
        X