sraps under belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sraps under belts

I was wondering about the cartridge box shoulder strap going under the belt. I was reading in the infantry tactics that it should go over everything but your canteen. So you can move it out in front of you for battle to an better place to get your ammunition. I know that a lot of reenactors put this under there belt but dose anyone have any photos of men doing both ways or what do y'all think on the subject.

Austin Kirkland
    "just a poor man fighting a rich mans war"
    Austin Kirkland

Re: sraps under belts

This question brings to my mind this image. Note the soldier closest to the camera.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Cumpston 1862,
      I see two in great coats with the sling over the coat and the waist belt over the sling and two in frock coats with waist belt over the sling. Are you seeing something different?
      Mike Stein
      Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

I can't recall any photos of box slings being worn over the waist belt.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

And yet I recall seeing images where the box is not only on the shoulder sling but evidently have the waist belt threaded through the loops of the box at the same time. The ultimate in security...Almost like an old duffer wearing suspenders and a trouser belt at the same time. I don't have any images at hand right now as I am away from home, but Scott Cross might be able to weigh in on this.
          Paul McKee

Comment

Mike-

My caption was rather vague.

Whenever the question is raised about cartridge straps going under or over the waist belt this is the picture I think of because of the soldier closet to the camera. It is a nice clear image showing the cartridge straps under the waist belt. I would agree with Robert in that I am not familiar with any pictures of a soldier wearing his cartridge straps over his waist belt.

This particular picture is a great one of Federal soldiers fully equipped and ready to go into battle. There are a number of interesting aspects including some of the soldiers wearing their greatcoats and their gear over them as you pointed out. Everytime I look at this picture I notice something new. Like the soldier on the far left. I just realized he is sitting on his knapsack.
            Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
            Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
            Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hallo!

I am not sure what you are seeing that is "non regulation?"

The intended purpose of the shoulder belt under the waistbelt was for stability while marching, kneeling, or firing prone. Plus, a fully loaded cartridge box weighed roughly four-something pounds and unless secured under the waistbelt had a tendency to flop and bounce.

To date, I have not yet seen an image of one worn over the belt except for those worn on the waistbelt and not on the shoulder belt (as with the P1857 boxes).

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Gents-

I posted the above image to illustrate a textbook image of Federal soldiers wearing their cartridge box slings under their waist belts as per regulations. My understanding of Mr. Kirkland's post was does anyone know of any period photos showing the straps underneath the waistbelt...yes...this one.

Sorry for any confusion.
                  Louis Zenti

Comment

Every image I have ever seen shows the cartridge box strap Under the belt. The only exception is the occasional occurence where the waist belt has been threaded through the waist belt loops on the back of the cartridge box, in addition to wearing the cartridge box strap, as Mr. McKee noted. I owned two images showing this, but sold them years ago. In practice, I found it very comfortable and it distributed the wait better. It also speeded up getting your gear off and on.
                    Scott Cross
                    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Paul D. Johnson's "Civil War Cartridge Boxes of the Union Infantryman" is an invaluable reference with loads of photos evidencing the wearing of accouterments correctly. Conversely, it has photos that confound the process by showing all manner of wearing them. The most common, however, appears to be traps worn with belt over strap.

I agree with Jim Kindred; books are the best and original search engine. Invest in a few, Kirkland, and you can refine your impression off of period examples vice what "other reenactors" (always a cautionary source) are doing.
                      Ivan Ingraham
                      AC Moderator

Comment

Just a side note; for some reason every photo I have seen of a soldier wearing his box on both his belt and his should strap, has been an Illinois soldier. I am not saying only Suckers did it, but that is just what I have seen.
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                        X