Pvt. James Curtis Overcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pvt. James Curtis Overcoat

Has anyone viewed the James Curtis overcoat up close that would be willing to share some of the details? If I remember correctly, it used to be in the basement of the old visitors center in Gettysburg and had a somewhat colorful lining under the cape. In pictures it appears to be made of a heavy weight cotton drill. I could be wrong on that though... Any information is appreciated.

Adam Dickerson
    Adam Dickerson

Re: Pvt. James Curtis Overcoat

I'm going to bump this thread in hopes to find out more info on this coat as well. I was rather interested in the cloth in which the coat is made. It appears to be made of a fine jean just from the pic in EOG, but I'm not certain. Can someone share some light on the subject?

Your Most Obedient Servant
    J. Sturckler
    James Sturckler
    Mess No. 1
    Dayton, Ohio
    www.bummers09.com

Comment

Hello All,

I've examined this overcoat. It is indeed made out of a heavy jean, possibly all cotton jean. The lining-- entire interior of the coat, and under the cape-- is of a heavy woven cotton. The interior collar is brown velvet. The coat itself is of nicer quality, that is in my opinion made by someone other than at home-- a tailor or clothier in my estimation. Has a lot of machine stitching, including the interior quilting. The coat itself is not like that of a Federal overcoat, it is basically a civilian over-frock, with attached cape. Has one interior welted pocket on the left side, and two tail pockets in the skirts which can be accessed from the outside of the coat.

I'd say the hardest part in reproducing this coat would be to find an appropriate, nearly matching, woven lining material.

If you live close enough to Gettysburg, make an appointment with the curatorial staff to examine the overcoat, my feeble attempts to describe it are no substitute for examining the real thing. As of late 2011 it was not on exhibit, not sure of its status now.

Hope this helps somewhat,
      Kyle M. Stetz
      Respectfully,
      -Kyle M. Stetz
      Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Kyle,

Thank you ever so much. Your description is exactly what I was looking for. My ultimate objective is to reproduce this coat. With that being said I am planning on arranging a viewing of the coat the next time I am in the Gettysburg area.

Your Most Obedient Servant
        J.Sturckler
        James Sturckler
        Mess No. 1
        Dayton, Ohio
        www.bummers09.com

Comment

Bump! I'm looking into this coat at the moment, and I've read that it was made from satinet with a 3 color wool plaid lining for the cape. Do you / we know for certain that it was made from cotton?
          Nic Clark
          2017 - 24 years in the hobby
          Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Working...
          X