Color of Federal officer's trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color of Federal officer's trousers

I'm being told that federal officers wore trousers that were royal blue, throughout the whole war, not the sky blue I've seen all over the hobby.
    Any thoughts?
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen
    Jeffrey Cohen

Re: Color of Federal officer's trousers

I don't think one can make such a generalized statement that they were all one color of blue. Since federal officer trousers were privately-purchased, they can run a range of shades of blue and in finer fabrics than enlisted sky blue kersey. It seems common to see original officer trousers in a deeper hue than sky blue...perhaps a "medium blue"...But I've seen originals that were pretty darned light as well. Compare the different shades in EoG.
    Paul McKee

Comment

Some officers might have worn trousers in royal blue, but I agree that generalities should be eschewed in favor of specifics. Please cite your sources (preferably not other reenactors, unless they have documentation) that specify this as being the predominant color.

Several period photos show officers wearing dark blue trousers as late as 1864 and many officers wore enlisted trousers during the Atlanta campaign. Baumgartner's book on the Atlanta Campaign is worth examining.

Besides EoG, museums around the country have extant examples of officer trousers in sky blue, though the materials can be hard to discern from behind the glass.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

Original examples from various sources.
        Attached Files
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Awesome, Brian.
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

Thanks,
            My guy uses a pair at the Horse Soldier as an example.

Regards,
            Jeffrey Cohen
            Jeffrey Cohen

Comment

And there you have it.
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

Dan has the photographic proof that is all you need! Uniform per Revised United States Army Regulations of 1861 directs all regimental officers to wear dark blue trowsers, the Changes effecting U.S. Army regulations of 1863 states; para 132. The following change is made in the uniform trowsers of regimental officers and enlisted men: The cloth to be sky-blue mixture. The welt for officers, and stripes for non-commissioned officers of Infantry, to be of dark blue.
                Frank Siltman
                24th Mo Vol Inf
                Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                Company of Military Historians
                Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

As Paul, Brian and others have pointed out, there is a large range of colors. When I worked at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum, I did a survey of the officers trousers in the collection. I don't have my notes handy, but the colors ranged from sky blue to very dark blue and everything in between. The piping was blue on infantry that was a contrast to the blue color of the trousers.
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Here's a pair of trousers with matching vest in our local village's historical society. The uniform is identified to Lt. William Parr, 52nd Wisconsin Infantry. I believe he was commissioned in late 1864.
                    Attached Files
                    Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
                    X