1863 Springfield help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1863 Springfield help please

I am looking at a 1863 Springfield that is for sale on an auction site and would like some input if possible from the experts in the field of Civil War firearms. This rifle looks pretty good but I did notice what looks like a sear screw missing on the plate next to the 1863 stamp. I know that they can be replaced but don't know how involved it is or who to send it to for repair. Any help would be appreciated as far as what you guys think of this rifle and the value of it and who does repairs like this.

Here is the auction link http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=375626869

Thanks,

Dave

Re: 1863 Springfield help please

Dave,

First, welcome to the A/C forum. I hope you experience here is a good one for you.

That being said, the cardinal rule here is to sign each post with your full name. Please read the rules for posting that are found at this link and then edit your post to add your last name. Also, use the helpful search engine to find out as much as you can on this or any other matter, when applicable.

Thanks,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thank You I will do so.

David Vallone
      Originally posted by Choatecav View Post
      Dave,

First, welcome to the A/C forum. I hope you experience here is a good one for you.

That being said, the cardinal rule here is to sign each post with your full name. Please read the rules for posting that are found at this link and then edit your post to add your last name. Also, use the helpful search engine to find out as much as you can on this or any other matter, when applicable.

Thanks,
      Mark

Comment

David,

That screw may be missing, but it may be that it has loosened over the years and is just not fully visible. It is tough to tell.

The good news is that the fix is easy either way:
        1) If its there, you'll see it and you can tighten it back up.
        2) If its missing, you can easily get a replacement from Lodgewood Mfg (one of our approved vendors here on the A-C! http://www.lodgewood.com/ ). The last time I was in their shop, Bill showed me a drawer *literally* full to the brim with sear screws.

Don't let the sear screw be the thing that keeps you from getting that musket, if it meets your needs/wants in every other aspect. Its a pretty simple/cheap fix.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
        X