Union Sack Coats at Manassas and other Early War Battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Sack Coats at Manassas and other Early War Battles

How common would it have been for Union troops to wear sack coats at Manassas and other Early War events? I saw the Western Federal Blues portrayed an Ohio regiment that wore sack coats (emailed them last week but haven't heard back yet) and I was wondering, if one didn't have the funds to purchase a Union Frock (I don't at the moment and I sold off my mainstreamish one to upgrade my shelter half and pay some bills) could they still pull off an authentic early war impression with a sack coat and sky blues?

Thanks in advance and have a great holdiay!

Sincerly
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Union Sack Coats at Manassas and other Early War Battles

For 1st Manssas specifically, sack coats would be in the minority. A fantastic resource is:

Bill Backus

Comment

Bill is right, they were in the minority although I doubt there was one garment that would comprise a majority either! One unit that did wear sacks was the 5th Massachusetts Volunteer Militia. Back at the 140th Manassas our unit (26th NCT) portrayed these guys and I did some research on same. Here's a blurb I put out way back then to our group that might be of interest:

"Some of you asked for more information on the uniform of the 5th Massachusetts at Bull Run. Here it is. These are not unit guidelines for the event, but for those who like to tailor their impression, maybe this will be helpful. The 5th was a 3 month Volunteer Militia regiment, and as such was formed of independent militia companies already in existence. Many were “old and honorable” companies and, as such, had extensive treasuries and fancy uniforms and equipment. However, in the 1853 state regulations also allowed state militia companies to adopt the federal army pattern uniform, and doubtless some did. When the 5th left for the front in 1861, virtually no two companies looked alike. A photo of one member of the 5th on page 52 of Mike McAfee’s Billy Yank shows a braided, triple breasted, gray jacket, with dark trim. In June however, the unit was issued US regular infantry clothing including, sack coat, sky blue pants, and forage cap. Private John B. Frothingham was issued an unpainted canvas box knapsack with straps of russet leather, a tin canteen covered with brownish gray cloth, a patent mess kit, and a white linen Havelock stamped “Soldiers Relief Society/Bunker Hill.” Massachusetts troops often carried a distinctive haversack which came in painted and unpainted versions and can be seen on page 210 of Echoes of Glory/Union. They used the standard federal haversack as well. Federal accouterments were also issued but photo and archaeological evidence shows many men continued to wear their militia belt plates well into 1862. One pattern that was very popular with Mass. Troops was a two-piece Victorian pattern with an eagle in the center. One of similar pattern but with WOBURN MECHANIC PHALANX in the center is documented as being worn by J. H. Parker of the 5th MVM at Manassas. Another was a two piece design with the seal of the Commonwealth of Mass. in the center. See American Military Belt Plates (O’Donnell & Campbell), pp. 216,222,223. Good copies of the eagle and Mass. two pieces can be obtained from Hanover Brass if anyone wants them. For pictures of them, look on Hanover Brass’s web site index at items # G-2 and #G25. The 5th also carried M1855 rifled muskets and M1842 smoothbores, and left all knapsacks and tents behind on the march to Manassas (per McDowell’s orders) and wore blanket rolls. They did not perform particularly well in the battle as one would expect from a militia outfit."
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks for the information guys....VERY helpful (and good reading too). Just out of curiousity, was the wearing of frock coats in the field at the commanders discretion (not just for Manassas but overall) or were some units ordered too and others weren't?

Thanks and hope everyone is having a great holiday season.
        Robert F. Wallace
        38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
        North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

It was pretty much at the whim of the commander. The following wonderful description, written by Federal Col. Charles E. Sprague in Capt. E. A. Nash’s History of the 44th New York Volunteer Infantry, provides an interesting view of that unit as it appeared prior to the Battle of Chancellorsville:

“As we stood in line in marching order we were a fair specimen of an American regiment. We stood about three hundred rank and file. Few regiments had anything like the nominal strength which a regiment should have. We were a sunburned, hearty set of fellows; we looked as if we could eat a square meal whenever we got one . . . We were not punctilious about regulations as to dress. Our regulation uniforms of semi-zouave pattern had been turned in, and we had frock coats, blouses, or jackets, just as it happened – anything blue would do. In hats and caps there was also much variety; the hideous regular army cloth cap, with slanting peak, which some turned up and some turned down – each way it looked worse; or the more knobby French shape, with straight visor or the McClellan cap, with top falling forward – these had been sent on from home or purchased when on furlough; or the army black felt, which was generally worn with the crown depressed in the center; or other varieties of black soft hats, which were worn in spite of regulations. But every one had on his cap or hat the red Maltese cross, the badge of our division [1st Division, 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac]. Some had leggings, some had not; some old hands were in favor of stuffing the trousers into the stockings and tying them with strings. The broad shoes furnished by the government and usually called “gunboats” were the most fashionable foot wear; this was apart of the uniform which private enterprise did not much improve on. Only one thing about our get up would have pleased a military critic – our guns were clean and bright.”
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,

That's a great quote, thanks for sharing.

-Sam Dolan
            Samuel K. Dolan
            1st Texas Infantry
            SUVCW

Comment

Robert,
              I don't know if this helps or not, but it comes from pages 15 and 16 of "Bearing Arms in the 27th Massachusetts Regiment of Volunteers" as written by William P. Derby. This regiment was organized in September of 1861, from companies largely originating out of Western Massachusetts:

"Colonel Lee left the command of the camp under the efficient care of Lieutenant-Colonel Lyman, and gave personal and gave personal attention to the various recruiting offices, so that by October 20th the ranks were practically full. Enfield rifles and uniforms were issued on October 10th. The later consisted of a navy-blue coat and "blouse", light blue pants and overcoat, with a black felt hat."

Now obviously by "blouse" he could mean a shirt, but it's possible it means something else (?).

-Sam Dolan
              Samuel K. Dolan
              1st Texas Infantry
              SUVCW

Comment

[QUOTE=guad42;240662 "The later consisted of a navy-blue coat and "blouse", light blue pants and overcoat, with a black felt hat."

Standard military nomencalature would be "Uniform Coat" (frock coat) and Fatigue Blouse (sack coat), both garments were to be issued at enlistment. This is consistant with the quote.
                Scott Cross
                "Old and in the Way"

Comment

From CRRC Volume 1, in the article on enlisted frock coats, there is a fantastic little bit regarding brigade/division commanders specifically ordering items other than sack coats.
                  General orders No.76, issued on 9/1/1863 to units of Birney's First Division, 3 corps: "State Jackets be drawn for all those Regiments whose states furnish such jackets, and for all the rest the regulation dress coat. This will be done without delay, and if any Regts. have such coats or jackets stored in Washington they should at once write for them to be sent down."

They also note a article from Volume 2. of The Watchdog claiming that as much as 46% of the Army of the Potomac drew Frock coats! Plenty of variation among different commanders.
                  Jory Maloney

Comment

Besides Manassas, this would fit in other early war battles, based on the research that my unit did for Wilson's Creek, the 2nd Kansas was issued Sack Coats. When the 2nd Kansas was mustering, they were issued sack coats, arms and the leathers to go with the arms only. Everything else for clothing and equipment came from home or was bought personally. I wasn't the one that did the research for this event so I don't know which source was used for the research, but Mr Tom Shaw or Mr Jim Moffet should know.
                    Andy Miller
                    Co. A, 1st Minn.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

The 1st and 2nd Ohio was wearing sack coats at the time of Manassas. While in Pennsylvania in April 61 in route to Washington the regiments were first issued, as described in a letter, "one blue flannel blouse, two red flannel shirts, one pair cadet grey pantaloons, one black overcoat and one black felt hat with ornaments." Due to the shortage of good cloth in Pennsylvania at the time the clothing, although made to specs, was not of good quality and soon was worn through. In late May, the regments were issued clothing from the War Department which included a new sack coat, dark blue trousers and forage caps. This is most likely what they wore through their 90 days service. There is a Company of Military Historians plate (#598) by Michael McAfee that depicts these uniforms.

We also know that units like the 14th Ohio received sack coats, sky blues and forage caps in late May 61 at the state arsenal in Columbus on their way to Western Virginia to particiapte in McClellans campaign there.

While these are just a few units, the thought that the Federal fatigue blouse is the most versatile coat/jacket in a reenactors kit really holds true from start to finish.
                      JOSHUA MANN
                      121st Ohio Vol.
                      Yo Mess

Comment

Working...
                      X