No announcement yet.

Information on Hurt's Battery Alabama Light Artillery Uniforms and Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on Hurt's Battery Alabama Light Artillery Uniforms and Equipment

All,
    I am currently doing a research project on the uniforms and equipment used by Hurt's (Hardaway's) Battery of Alabama Light Artillery. While my principle interest is in the period from May 1863 before Gettysburg up to the beginning of the Overland Campaign in May 1864, any period references pertaining to this unit's uniforms would be of interest.

Originally designated as Hardaway's (Alabama) Battery, this unit was formed from men mostly in Macon, Russell and Tallapoosa Counties and mustered in the June 1861 timeframe. They served with the ANV throughout the War and surrendered at Appomatox in April 1865. William Hurt was promoted to command of the Battery after the Robert A Hardaway's promotion to Battalion command at the time of the ANV reorganization in 1863. Hurt's (Hardaway's) Battery was notable among ANV Artillery Units in that they were equipped with English 12 pdr. Whitworth Rifles utilizing two at Gettysburg.

Period references such as letters, diaries, newspaper accounts, excerpts from the OR's, etc are of interest. I have a pretty good handle on the unit's activities during the period and have some limited on material on their requisitions at that time as well but any discriptions or details relating to the uniforms and equipment would be appreciated.

Dick Milstead
    The Company of Military Historians
    Richard Milstead
Working...
X