Vinegar kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinegar kegs

Does anyone know where to find, or know what color vinegar casks were supposed to be painted? I have tried searching the forum and looked through the regulations manual. The only thing I found was “vinegar kegs should be painted and the bungs capped with tin.”
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Re: Vinegar kegs

Tyler,

While I don't have the answer to your question, Ft. Scott has some stuff on commissary and there was a lot of vinegar stored there as part of the rations. They have a lot of casks and kegs there and someone at the place might be able to give you an answer to your question. Here's a link to the page on the commissary.

Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Fantastic, thanks for the help Mike I appreciate it!
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I received an email in regards to the color of paint on vinegar kegs. I thought I would share it with everyone since it contains some great information.

Jan 30 at 3:59 PM

Mr. Underwood,

I did not find any reference for painting vinegar kegs in the 1841 and 1847 Army Regulations. I did talk to another Park Ranger on this subject, George Elmore from Ft. Larned National Historic Site. Fortunately, he has seen a picture of an original vinegar keg. The body is a forest green color. The two sides are painted chrome yellow. On both sides labeled in black print is: 1) the place of manufacture, 2) vinegar, 3)age of item.

Galen Ewing
        Park Ranger
        Fort Scott NHS
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Working...
        X