Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passable for period shovels?

Gentlemen,

I'm hoping there are a few among you with knowledge of the tools of the period, specifically as the post thread says shovels. I have a few old wooden "D" & "T" handled shovels and spades, but unfortunately their condition are far beyond field use. In my search to find replacements to use in the field and around camp I came across a company that still makes what appears to me at least to be the appropriate style handled shovels with several different shaped blades, but for a price. I am aware that the blades are stainless steel, but being a chemist I can take the shine right out of them without harming the strength or integrity of the blade itself and without harming the wood in any fashion. www.gardentoolcompany.com. The shovels in question are located on pages 3 & 4 of their spades, shovels & digging tools section.

What I am interested to know from the collected knowledge here is; with a little cosmetic work, sanding off the varnish and making shiny look like used iron, could these shovels cut the mustard in your eyes for period equipment?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Tommarello, please do not forget to sign your full name (first and last) to every post.

Thanks! -Tyler Underwood

H.M Tommarello
    1st Sgt.
    Co. A, 9th Pa. Reserves
    "Iron City Mess"
    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM. Reason: signature
    [SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Garamond"]Mike Tommarello[/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/SIZE]
    [I]"Iron City Mess"[/I]
    9th Pennsylvania Reserves
    Co. A[/FONT]

Re: Passable for period shovels?

Mighty proud of them blades aren't they.
    Mike McGee
    Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
    Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
    Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
    Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
    KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
    Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Maybe, but that is subjective. A good repro is patterned off of a primary example. While these are "like" period shovels, they may not clean up enough to resemble them. The price is pretty high, too, and I have found period shovels in antique stores for reasonable prices.

Cleaning the metal with some WD40, or other scrubbing fluid, and steel wool usually takes the rust off and some linseed oil will condition the wooden parts. Using them with care has allowed me to use them for many years to date.

If you want to compare shovels of the period to these I recommend Civil War Collectors Encyclopedia by Francis Lord. Volume I, pp 143-144 has a section on entrenching tools. Before making a purchase of this expense, I would scour images, primary sources, etc, to see if these meet standards. Bear in mind that the blades were also initially painted black, so if you do artificially age the blades, remnants of the paint might make for a more authentic detail.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

Oldie but a goodie.
        Mitchell L Critel
        Wide Awake Groupie
        Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

It's said in the linked thread and I have been told before to remove the paint if using a new purchased wood handled axe or hatchet. Looking at the drawings from the catalog in that thread they are all shaded black as if to imply they are painted. So, why remove the black paint from the wood handled axe purchased at Ace hardware? Because it is modern paint? If so what should it be replaced with?
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

Axe blades were painted. Look at the Quartermaster Image of the Pioneer. http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/186..._2/fatigue.jpg I have never seen any images of T handle spades in use. Only long handled shovels and D handle spade and shovels. I have been collecting every one I can find. I have found several on Ebay for about $35 shipped. They take a little TLC to get into shape but it is the only source for LH use.

- - - Updated - - -
            David H. Thomas
            Starr's NC Battery
            Fayetteville, NC

Comment

In addition to Mr Thomas excellent picture some original dug examples can be found at the following : http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/tools/tools.html
              Jim Mayo
              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks for the photos. Jim, I love your site and its like finding for the first time each time I go to it. So much detail to look at.
                Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                Civil War Digital Digest
                Sally Port Mess

Comment

Jim, does the flat shovel found in a federal fort near Petersburg (fourth pic down) have rivets holding the handle sleeve to the blade?
                  Tyler Underwood
                  Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                  Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for the excellent photograph. It will be extremely helpful in the future. Thank you to everyone else for your assistance in this matter. I have always kept an eye open for old shovels should I come across them but its unfortunate that the ones found locally are in very poor condition. A shovel blade rusted into swiss cheese or a handle so rotted it comes apart is of no use, but I will continue looking. I have ordered one of the modern shovels, D handle with square blade to see what I can do with my skills to make it period proper albeit with a painted stainless steel blade.

My compliments,
                    H.M Tommarello
                    Co. A, 9th PRVC
                    "Iron City Mess"
                    [SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Garamond"]Mike Tommarello[/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/SIZE]
                    [I]"Iron City Mess"[/I]
                    9th Pennsylvania Reserves
                    Co. A[/FONT]

Comment

Gentlemen,

From looking at photos, (I have never seen an original) the Civil War period long handled round bladed shovels seem to look exactly like the modern variety. Any opinions?
                      Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Tyler, yes it has rivets. The round front artillery shovel on the web page has the same method used for attaching the handle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shovel1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	224065Click image for larger version

Name:	shovel front.jpg
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	224064
                        Jim Mayo
                        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hello, I hope this OK to ask here, since we are talking period tools (albeit shovels, but there were hatchets in one pic :) ) I purchased this for $5, would it be correct in style?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hammer1.JPG
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	224067Click image for larger version

Name:	hammer2.jpg
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	224068Click image for larger version

Name:	hammer3.jpg
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	224069
                          Your Humble Servant,
                          Sean R. Otis
                          124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
                          MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
                          Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
                          at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Comment

Looks ok to me. It is very close to one shown in the illustration from the Irwin & Russell 1865 catalog that was linked earlier in this thread to another thread. That style, at least today, is called a roofing or shingle hatchet. In that illustration I think it might be labeled as such but the res is to poor for me to tell for sure. Sadly I don't own a reprint of that catalog to check.
                            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                            Civil War Digital Digest
                            Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks for answering my question Jim, I appreciate it. I have not done extensive research on period shovels and spades so I find this pretty interesting since I have never seen this method of attaching the blade before.
                              Tyler Underwood
                              Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                              Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X