Passable for period shovels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passable for period shovels?

Occasionally one can find these Swedish surplus shovels in surplus shops.

I have always thought they looked correct, but about half size of normal shovels.

Any input?

We only carry genuine military surplus, no knockoffs! We have U.S. Army & Navy camo, uniforms, and gear from WWII to modern day. Find the army surplus gear you need!
    Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

Re : Sean's hatchet head it is close to what is shown in the Russell & Irwin catalog. What is illustrated has a rounded head, ( I think the correct terminology is the poll). This is page 203 under the Heading of AXES, ADZES AND HATCHETS". As for the shovels those shovels in the posted color photo are good example and are basically shown in the R & I catalog.

I own a reprint of that catalog. That's 436 pages of civil War period "stuff ".

Dennis W. Duerbeck

Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

Paul,

Yes, these shovels look like some period ones illustrated in various catalogues of the period. You are also correct in that they are generally smaller than originals. For look and appearance they are 3/4 scale, I think, but work fine for turning sod and sure beats using a modern one from Ace Hardware. I have one of these and two of the period, along with hatchets and buck saws. Now I just need to get to an event to use these!

As has been addressed, period ones are availavble with a little searching and elbow grease. I recall Hank Trent listed some for sale last year.
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

I have not seen any examples of any shovels in this period that have sockets like modern shovels. All the LOC images i have seen show straps and rivets for spades and long handled shovels. Click image for larger version

Name:	shovels.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	224081Click image for larger version

Name:	batteryno11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	224082Click image for larger version

Name:	grapevine3.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	224083Click image for larger version

Name:	batteryno12.jpg
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	224084
          David H. Thomas
          Starr's NC Battery
          Fayetteville, NC

Comment

That is a good point; the Swedish ones do have the socket fitting. Hmm. But that one in the link isn't the one I was thinking of. When I get home I will post a photo of the spade to which I was referring. I agree that the socket and rivet arrangement is likely not correct, I guess I was more focused on the handle ( helps to not look so quickly!)
            Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 02-05-2014, 12:08 AM.
            Ivan Ingraham
            AC Moderator

Comment

Just saw this on facebook, it's hard to make out the heads of the implements but there are some shovels, axes and various implements of destruction in here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1900059_610384829015566_1718557626_n.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	224090

Hi res here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource...811/?co=civwar
              Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Gentlemen,

Perhaps some of you have a higher resolution photo, but in the picture of the soldiers standing on the bridge, at least two of them seem to be holding long handled shovels with "modern" shanks. First, the soldier standing next to the fat officer and second, the man wearing dark trousers tucked into his socks.
                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

All the long handles shovels in that image have straps not socketsClick image for larger version

Name:	grapevine3.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	224099Click image for larger version

Name:	grapevine1.jpg
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	224100
                  David H. Thomas
                  Starr's NC Battery
                  Fayetteville, NC

Comment