Buttons on a Talma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttons on a Talma

I've looked thru the search function and I've seen the discussion on Jarnigan's talma. My question is what buttons would have been on the talma ? The only photo I have been able to see is the EOG and the buttons are dark. I've looked at some Goodyear button collections and it appears they made a infantry button and Sharpshooter button in rubber. Would one of these been on the coat or would it have been another design.

I'm contemplating purchasing the Jarnagin talma but not real comfortable with their brass buttons.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
    Jim Busby
    Walton Guards
    Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
    Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
    Co C 3rd US Inf
    www.waltonguards.org

Re: Buttons on a Talma

Jim, Echoes of Glory, US Volume, page 128 show Lt. Colonel Whitaker's talma having dark colored buttons. The buttons are a black color, and could be rubber. The photo does not have a great close up.

Then there is this rain "cloak" that has cloth covered buttons: http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?s...&lotIdNo=17002

Also, there is information regarding rain coats here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...outer-Garments
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Thanks Herb. I have not been able to see Jackson's coat as it is no longer on the website.

If anyone else has info please let me know.

Jim
      Jim Busby
      Walton Guards
      Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
      Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
      Co C 3rd US Inf
      www.waltonguards.org

Comment

The Talma was a prewar issue to Cavalry. It would probably have brass buttons.

Private purchase rubber raincoats would have many types of buttons but hard rubber would be the most logical.
        David H. Thomas
        Starr's NC Battery
        Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Working...
        X