French 1842 bayonet scabbard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French 1842 bayonet scabbard.

I'm working on a French 42' bayonet scabbard. The bayonet is really short on it compared to an American 42' socket bayonet. I have an original scabbard to go off of for making the pattern but here is the kicker. It has a metal stiffener inside of it that the finial is soldered to. There is also a throat piece that is mangled. Does anyone have a photo or specs on the throat piece? I have looked at he French QM manual and am coming up with nothing. Thanks!
    Mike Brase
    Proprietor
    M.B. Young and Co.
    One of THEM!
    Member Company of Military Historians

Re: French 1842 bayonet scabbard.

I suppose there must be different models of the scabbard - the Mle1822 scabbard indeed had a brass throat, but by the time the '42 and 42/53T was around, the scabbard had no brass top. It had a little leather strap that entered into a buckle on the frog. I was going to make one until I found one from IMA, I think, a "european bayonet scabbard" - it has the metal stiffener inside that you are talking about, which is soldered to a finial. It is identical to the 1850s type and my original bayonet fits fine.
    I HAD photos of this scabbard at one point, I am not sure if I still have any drawings for it, but our early bayonet scabbards were very similar. Jarnigans 1828 bayonet is similar to the earlier French type, This one http://www.ima-usa.com/european-19th...-scabbard.html is similar to the ones shown in the Godillot catalog of 1860 and fits the Mle 1822/42 socket bayonet. You will see the top band white, natural, or black on originals - I don't know why. These have a metal ball finial, and while I think that type existed during the Civil War, you can replace the tip - the body will save you alot of work.
    David Stone

Comment

Images of various bayonet scabbards....

Toutes les informations sur la vente Armes anciennes et baïonnettes - vendredi 20 septembre 2013 14:00 - Ader

- - - Updated - - -

An early one with a brass throat...

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,0193413357,language,E.html
      David Stone

Comment

Another link...showing a pretty good brass mounted scabbard. Just scroll down.

Bonjour, voici l'arme qui équipait les voltigeurs de la Garde de Napoléon III: En 1854 deux régiments de Voltigeurs de la Garde sont créés, l'un à Saint Denis e

I have some drawings for the frogs, but I cannot find any for the scabbards. If I find any I'll post them.
        David Stone

Comment

Working...
        X