Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Virtual photograph of a soldier

Hello,

I wasn't real sure which section this topic should go in so if i missed the mark then I apologize.

I have spent the last two years researching the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters. While far from considering my self an authority, I do have a very well rounded understanding of the part that the unit played in the major battles. However by the time the unit was created in early May of 1863, the blockades had begun to take their toll and it was difficult for photographers to get the chemicals they needed to create photographs. Because of that fact, I have not been able to find a singe photograph of a member of the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters while they were actually members of the unit. I have found several photographs of some of the members taken in 1861 in their state of Georgia Uniforms and a few taken after the war has ended.

I have spent the last week since I joined these forums reading over old posts and waiting through the vast treasure trove of knowledge and since I can find a photograph to see what the uniform of the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters, I have been trying to create a virtual photograph and put together what equipment these men likely had.

From older posters on here, I have learned that more than likely, these men would have had shell jackets of the Columbus Depot pattern and they more than likely wore slouch hats, not kempi's.

I found this illustration of a 2nd Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters soldier shows their uniform and equipment and I feel strongly that the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters would have looked similar to this:

One of the things that I have not been able to learn however is exactly which rifle the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters would have been armed with and quit frankly, living in Ireland, I don't really know where to look for such information.

I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into this or if anyone has come across any information on the armament of the 4th Batt'n Ga SS? I have a contact at the National Archives that I have emailed about this but I didn't really know what records to ask him to look for or even if the records are indexed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Vance Harris

Re: A Virtual photograph of a soldier

As of March 1864 there was a mixture of Austrian Rifles .54, Springfield .58 Rifle Muskets and Enfield Rifles.

Will MacDonal

Comment

Re: A Virtual photograph of a soldier

Yes, Fred Ray Author of "Shock Troops of the Confederacy" recently told me about the Austrian Lorenz rifle which I was not familiar with at the time. There are a few ordnance returns here:

One of the Regiments listed in the ordnance returns is the 10th Tennessee Infantry. They were in the same brigade as the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters...not sure if that means the two units would have been equipped similarly or not.

The 10th Tennessee used
      Belgian cal .70
      Musket cal .69
      Springfield cal .58
      Enfield cal .57

According to the person who published these ordnance returns, they got them from the Compiled service records. I have been looking through the compiled service records of the 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters and have so far had no luck.
      Vance Harris

Comment

Working...
      X