Confedrate Shoes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confedrate Shoes ?

Had this in my files and thought I'd share.

Sheep and Hogs skin?
    Anyone know of any other references regarding this?

Regards,
    Kevin Ellis
    26thNC

Re: Confedrate Shoes ?

We have issue records that Starr's Battery in Eastern NC were issued canvas shoes on at least one occasion. I think the NC Museum of History has one canvas shoe in their collection.
    David H. Thomas
    Starr's NC Battery
    Fayetteville, NC

Comment

David, what was the time frame that the battery was issued the canvas shoes? I seen a comment recently that was arguing against them ever being issued and I would like to have evidence to prove otherwise.
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

On July 25th 1863 a company of the 4th Batt. Georgia Sharpshooters was issued a mixture of cloth and leather shoes, of the 11 pair issued 4 were cloth and 7 leather. It's in the CSR of one of the company captains and I made of note of it.

Will MacDonald

Comment

They were issued in May of 1863. Starr's Battery was NC state supplied throughout it's service. They served in the eastern part of the state.
          David H. Thomas
          Starr's NC Battery
          Fayetteville, NC

Comment

How could they tell it was sheep and hogs skin, would there still be wool on the sheep skin and the rough hair on the hogs skin or can some prople just tell the difference.
            Hunter Greene
            ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

Hunter-different types of skin have distinct grain and follicle patterns that a knowledgeable individual can easily discern
              Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Working...
              X