Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper/Magazine Subscriptions to Soldiers

Hello all,
    I am trying to find information on packaging and or how newspapers/magazines were marked and mailed to soldiers in the field. Chesley Mossman refers to having a subscription to the Eclectic Magazine, and mentions receiving it numerous times I his diary. Wondered if these were expressed by the publisher, or if sent in the mail, how they were packaged. I've been searching newspaper archives, etc. but have yet to se anything with a recipient on it.
    Scott Sheets
    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
    Dirty Shirts

Re: Newspaper/Magazine Subscriptions to Soldiers

How about a note to the National Postal Museum of the Smithsonian in Washington DC?
    Here's a link: http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/
    Mike Stein
    Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Thanks for the link Mike. I'll see what they know.
      Scott Sheets
      Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
      Dirty Shirts

Comment

From the Library of Congress

The Soldiers’ Journal was printed weekly, for a price of five cents per issue, or two dollars per year. The eight-page issues included poetry, miscellaneous articles about battles and major war figures, letters from soldiers, camp and personal intelligence, as well as hospital, sanitary, supply, and special relief department directories. During the Journal’s s short life, the paper’s distribution grew to more than twenty thousand subscribers, including Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant. Finally discontinued in June 1865, the Journal was sold with proceeds from the sale donated to an orphanage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	soldiers journal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	224162
        Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-12-2014, 08:07 AM.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

In William Ray's (7th WI) diary, he describes getting a subscription to the Grant County Herald. This was a local, weekly paper. Reading between the lines, it sounds like his papers were supposed to be mailed directly from the newspaper company. I would infer this for two reasons. First, the description of his mother paying for the paper and the postage sounds like it was all one transaction. Second, he complained about not getting half of them, which I would assume wouldn't be as much of a problem if his mother was picking up a copy and mailing it personally. As to how they were mailed, that is another interesting question which I don't know the answer to. I copied the original spelling and punctuation.

Well I got a Grant Co Herald last night and find some verry interesting news for it brings the news from home in a manner. I had ought to have them evry week for mother signed and paid for it and paid the postage for it to come to me. But I do not get more than two a month instead of four for they are a weekly paper. And they are one dollar and a half a year. And it costs at the rate of fifty cents a year for postage to this place which makes two dollars a year. And I think I ought to get them all.
          Tyler D. Scott

Comment

Thanks for the quote Tyler, wounds like a good diary to read. I've seen similar things about having a subscription, just can't find any pics of a civil war era newspaper with any sort of cancelled stamp etc. on it. Gonna check with some collectors, if I find anything I'll post it.
            Scott Sheets
            Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
            Dirty Shirts

Comment

From Ray's account, it cost 50 cents to mail the newspapers for the year. For a weekly paper, that works out to one cent per issue. That agrees with the information on these two websites.

This page says the rate to mail a newspaper was one cent. While this page says newspapers were wrapped in plain paper for mailing. "These humble, plain looking covers are scarcer than envelopes because they were not often saved."

It sounds like simply wrapping it in paper, addressing it, and using a Ben Franklin one cent stamp would do the trick. You might be able to find some photos of originals with a little searching.
              Tyler D. Scott

Comment

Tyler, Thanks for the links. I hadn't thought about just looking into the postage of the items. I'd say your right about wrapping it in paper and addressing it with a 1c stamp like a letter. If I can find a photo of an original I'll post it.
                Scott Sheets
                Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                Dirty Shirts

Comment

Ok, Thanks to Tyler's suggestion about postage I have been searching past stamp auctions. Started to find some information. Here is a pre war wrapper with the description. This is from stampauctionnetwork.com

"1c Blue, Ty. II (7). Horizontal pair, large margins to in, left stamp tear at top, cancelled by large "PAID" precancels in upper-case type and affixed to wrapper to Kingston Ala., some wear

VERY FINE APPEARANCE. A RARE EXAMPLE OF THE LARGE "PAID" PRECANCEL ON ITS ORIGINAL WRAPPER. A MAGNIFICENT SHOWPIECE.

Little is known about the "Paid" precancels on the 1c 1851 Issue. The Ashbrook 1c book illustrates several varieties of actual and supposed precancels (Volume 2, pages 92-97), including the pair offered here. About this wrapper, Ashbrook notes that "the wrapper evidently originally enclosed a newspaper, and the stamps were unquestionably precancelled before they were applied to the wrapper."
                  Scott Sheets
                  Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                  Dirty Shirts

Comment

Here's one more from Seigel Auctions 2004 rarities auction. It is a newspaper wrapper for an 1857 issue of "The American Eagle" newspaper of Cleveland OH. From the listing it state's that the newspaper was still inside the wrapper. This was the only photo I could find though.
                    Scott Sheets
                    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                    Dirty Shirts

Comment

Scott,
                      I have been following this thread closely as I am interested in this type of
                      material culture minutiae. Great work and thanks for sharing it with all
                      of us.
                      Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
                      John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Beth,
                        I geek out about this kind of stuff also. I really have to thank Tyler Scott for the postage suggestion, I wouldn't have found any of this otherwise. Here are a few examples of southern papers with wartime dates.

This Page has a Houston newspaper with a narrow wrapper band for postage, and an Augusta GA paper with the postage and address in the masthead.

This Page shows a Richmond newspaper with a full wrapper

Scott Sheets
                        Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                        Dirty Shirts

Comment

I believe that the reason Ray is only paying a penny for his paper and the sample wrappers show two 1c stamps is that the penny rate is for the first three ounces, with each additional ounce running another cent. Check out the postal rates starting on p. 202 (the rates for overseas mail get really interesting):

Last edited by Pvt Schnapps; 03-13-2014, 01:26 PM.
                          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                            I believe that the reason Ray is only paying a penny for his paper and the sample wrappers show two 1c stamps is that the penny rate is for the first three ounces, with each additional ounce running another cent. Check out the postal rates starting on p. 202 (the rates for overseas mail get really interesting):

http://books.google.com/books?id=8LY...papers&f=false
                            But it also says that if the postage is paid "quarterly or yearly in advance" (seems to be the case in Ray's account since it sounds like his mother pre-paid for the entire year's subscription) then the rate is cut in half. I've looked at copies of the Grant County Herald on microfilm and it is possible it would have weighed less than three ounces, but the pre-paid rate is another possibility.
                            Tyler D. Scott

Comment

You're certainly right about that. I was just curious about the two Franklins on the examples and wanted to track down a source that would explain things. I hadn't realized what "drop letters" were before or how complicated overseas mail could get. Makes things now seem almost simple. :)
                              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                              X