Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question- Accoutrements, is there a storage or listing ledger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question- Accoutrements, is there a storage or listing ledger?

Am currently in a research project. Under the Militia Law the Federal Government would issue once a year firearms to every State. The accoutrements to go with the muskets or rifles were sometimes included? Is there a ledger or listing in the National Archives that shows the numbers and storage where? on accoutrements, cartridge boxes, cap boxes, belts, etc. The St. Louis arsenal lists the number of firearms in storage in 1859 but not the accoutrements in storage-- Would this be under Quartermaster General or Ordnance Office? The arsenals would issue arms-- sometimes with accoutrements--sometimes not. I know the Federal Government priced them for sale to States or Militia Companies but where are these sales cataloged?

Thank You for Help-

Tom Arliskas
    CSuniforms
    Tom Arliskas

Re: Question- Accoutrements, is there a storage or listing ledger?

Tom,

Have you looked at the "Letter from the Secreatary of War" in the Congressional Record? The 38th Congress, 2nd session, Executive Document No. 84 has detailed listings on all purchases from 1863-March 1865. It is a gold mine for contracts from all the arsenals. You can find it in any Federal Repository in the US. I'm not sure if that will help you or not.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
      Tom,

Have you looked at the "Letter from the Secreatary of War" in the Congressional Record? The 38th Congress, 2nd session, Executive Document No. 84 has detailed listings on all purchases from 1863-March 1865. It is a gold mine for contracts from all the arsenals. You can find it in any Federal Repository in the US. I'm not sure if that will help you or not.
      Will check that out--

Tom Arliskas
      CSuniforms
      Tom Arliskas

Comment

I was just reading through an old MC&H Journal from the mid 80's. It was an article written by Fred Gaede in reference to Maryland not drawing any accouterments until the 1850's. It is the journal that has the 1808 Cartridge box descriptions in it. I will look and check his sources. Unless you beat me too it.
        Mike Brase
        Proprietor
        M.B. Young and Co.
        One of THEM!
        Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
        X