Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st-4th and 2nd-6th Missouri Infantry consolidated

Hello,

I am looking for any information one might be able to provide on the unit above circa the Tennessee campaign. I.E. quartermaster records..returns.. info on flag and its details.. general appearance during the campaign etc.. Thanks in advance

Re: 1st-4th and 2nd-6th Missouri Infantry consolidated

Are those Confederate units? I own a book about the 1st Missouri Brigade, commanded by Generals Henry Little, John Bowen, Francis Cockrell, etc. They fought at such battles as Pea Ridge, Iuka, Corinth and Vicksburg. This book mentions a 1st/4th Consolidated Missouri Regiment as part of the brigade. It goes into great detail of their campaigns, commanders, and uniforms. The book is titled, "The South's Finest: The First Missouri Confederate Brigade From Pea Ridge to Vicksburg," By Phillip Thomas Tucker.
    Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
    150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
    150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
    Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
    Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
    Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
    Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
    154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
    Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

I assume you are talking about late 1864? They were pulling clothes and equipment from the Columbus Depot after Vicksburg. I believe they carried Second National and AOT battleflags. The book mentioned above is not bad but Tucker tends to repeat himself and I question some of his statements. While it is a decent book it ends at Vicksburg. If you are wanting later info on the Brigade, Gottshalk's "In Deadly Earnest" is a good overview of the Missouri Brigade during the entire war.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Thank you Stephen and Michael!

I guess I should have been a little more specific. I am referring to the 1st and 4th Missouri Consolidated Infantry in Francis Cockrell's Missouri Brigade of the Army of Tennessee that fought for the Confederacy. I have those books and it is very informative as well as some other books on both the 1st and 2nd Missouri Brigades.
        I am looking for quartermaster returns for the time period of mid to late 64 prior to Franklin Tennessee. I am aware they were drawing items from Columbus GA, however I was curious if there is any from Demopolis or Columbia MS as they were at Mobile for a little bit and received their (and the rest of the brigade) flag there which was of the Mobile Depot design. There might be a possibility the entire Brigade was refitted around Mobile and I am curious if there are any such records or returns available, or any reference to the issues which are not already located in the above books.

Thanks in Advance for any help!
        Last edited by creed1939; 03-21-2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Good question about Demopolis since they were there for a while waiting to be exchanged. I am not aware of any quartermaster returns but there could very well be some out there. You might contact Wilson's Creek. They have a large library there of Civil War materials, good people that know their stuff and would possibly be able to steer you in the right direction if they did not have the information you want at hand.
          Michael Comer

Comment

Do we have any updates from this thread? Am currently doing research on Cockrell's Brigade for the benefit of Allatoona Pass Battlefield. Thanks in advance.
            Dillan Lee
            "Exodus 15:3: The Lord is a man of war"
            Jasper Greens Mess / SCAR

Comment

I have some info but it's typically already known. No QM or Ordnance returnes have been found "currently "

Comment

I have some info but it's typically already known. No QM or Ordnance returnes have been found "currently "

Comment

If I were you guys, I would contact Brian DesRochers at Blakeley State Park. He's got a ton of information both published and unpublished.
                  Patrick Landrum
                  Independent Rifles

Comment

Better yet, come to the event in a few weeks and talk to him in person!
                    Michael Comer

Comment

You might find this interesting linking the Brigade to Selma Arsenal. Click image for larger version

Name:	Fold3_Page_55_Compiled_Service_Records_of_Confederate_General_and_Staff_Officers_and_Nonregiment.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	225257

Comment

Working...
                      X