Need help on a knapsack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on a knapsack.

Looking for any information on this type knapsack. I believe it is militia and has a wooden frame. Story is that a soldier in the 9th Va. Inf. was wounded at Gettysburg and sent home to recuperate. He bought this knapsack and blanket roll with him. Knapsack has been restored and cleaned. Would like to hear any opinions on the blanket, markings present or info on another knapsack like this one that may be in another collection. Even if I don't receive any info it is still a good item so enjoy the pictures. I do have a couple more pictures of the knapsack and blanket if anyone wants to see them.
    Attached Files
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: Need help on a knapsack.

Jim-

The nails/tacks attaching the fabric to the wooden frame seem to be two different kinds. Some seem to be rounded and others are flat. Is this a period alteration/repair?
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will check with my friend who nursed it back to health. It was in pretty bad shape when he got it.
      Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Jim-

I came across this knapsack on the Horse Soldier's Website. It is in fairly rough shape and has some post war stenciling but it seems similar to the one you have pictured. Anyway thought I would share.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Thanks for that link to the Horse Soldier. Here are some more views.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brittenham ks open.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	582.9 KB
ID:	224189Click image for larger version

Name:	brittenham ks side marking.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	224188Click image for larger version

Name:	Brittenham ks pouch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	224187Click image for larger version

Name:	Brittenham ks open 2.jpg
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	224186Click image for larger version

Name:	Brittenham ks hooks.jpg
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	224185
          Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Very interesting with the Mix of Hardware. Brass buckles on the outside Cast buckles on the inside. The bullet end of the inside straps is very reminiscent of the Crupper straps ends from the 59' pattern Mac Crupper. They also didn't use backers and just sewed through the Canvas. Also the hook used for the shoulder strap is very reminiscent of the Federal Arsenal Hooks used on IW era Belts and other items. The quality of the workmanship seems to be executed very well. The different nails used to tack down the Fabric to the frame is not so much an issue for me as is the mixed hardware. The Hard pack shown on the Horse Soldier site is of a pattern I stay away from as they were known to have been used at least in New York state well into the 1870's. This pack does not conform in some of its smaller details to the ones known to have been used by the NYSM IMHO. This pack is very unique and very cool regardless of provenance. As an aside if there were ties for the inner flaps originally and they were torn or the stitching ripped out using parts at hand to effect a repair would not be out of the question, Thanks for sharing this unique pack.
            Mike Brase
            Proprietor
            M.B. Young and Co.
            One of THEM!
            Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Cumpston1862 View Post
              Jim-

The nails/tacks attaching the fabric to the wooden frame seem to be two different kinds. Some seem to be rounded and others are flat. Is this a period alteration/repair?
              Some of the nails had rusted away. Period nails were used to replace them.
              Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Working...
              X