Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socks over your pants?

Ok gentleman,

The question is a simple one. In the mainstream world, you see many men tucking their pants into their socks in order to not step on the back of the trouser legs. For many years I have just simply rolled my pants up a tad in order to avoid this. Upon looking at several painting done by Trionai, the question is, how authentic is it tuck your pants legs into your socks. I haven't seen any photos of this that I can remember. It seems to work and is practical, but would this have actually been something done, or is this one of those things that re enactors collectively do? I searched the forums and nothing came up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Shelby Hull
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Re: Socks over your pants?

Here is the only photo I have found out of like the 1000 I just searched through. Can anyone tell me where this was taken. I am thinking he is federal based on the cuff design of his jacket. But being that there is no box plate or insignia. Its hard to identify.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Socks over the pants.gif
Views:	1
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	224190
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Comment

Here's a useful thread. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ght=tuck+socks
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I am not a preacher and this is not a sermon but there is a broader issue. Fieldcraft. Doing what works for a good reason, not necessarily because it can be seen in an image. How did it improve your lot in life? Sure, sometimes tuck the cuff of the trousers (trowsers) into the socks to keep the ticks from crawling up your pants leg. I do that because the Stones River battlefield park has tall native grass and last summer especially, ticks were a problem. If somebody thinks its a fashion statement, well who cares what somebody else thinks? I'd rather not get sick with Lyme's disease. If there's no problem with ticks, probably not going to see me "blouse" my trousers into my socks. Why do it? Also, I may or may not button my coat or even wear it unless out of camp, depending on temperature and comfort.

No greatcoat...I have a gum blanket, which works both when it's cold or wet. I like the US 1858 infantry hat because the brim keeps my face dry if it rains and if not it keeps the sun out of my eyes. Carry a folder (pocket knife) and often use it. In fact, its many uses make it indispensible. Maybe use the sling for carrying your musket (the purpose intended), depending on if you need to use it for some more necessary purchase, like holding your pants up or securing a bedroll. And so on. Take care of your feet, mend your clothes and regardless of the weather, take pains to stay warm and dry. I keep my musket clean and dry so it will both pass inspection and fire in any weather.

Let the circumstances dictate how you use any of your equipment, with an eye towards "less is more." Can some piece of material culture be used for multiple purposes? Is something useless? My recommendation would be, if you "blouse" your trousers into socks, do so for some good reason.
        Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-27-2014, 07:39 AM.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	51856207.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	224194Click image for larger version

Name:	romestatue.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	224195Click image for larger version

Name:	th-georgia-waycross-confederate-monument-ware-county-ga-civil-war-soldier-csa-heritage-not-hate-.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	224196Craig,

I know these are statues, but these are three examples of confederate monuments found here in Georgia. All of these clearly show the socks over the trousers. I'm not sure how much input veterans had as to how the statues look, however surviving veterans were present at the dedication of all three of these.
          Chadd M. Wilson
          WIG
          Armory Guards
          Black Hat Boys

Comment

And I've viewed many such statues where the soldier's weapon is clearly post-Civil War. So, I'd opine that statues and post-war paintings aren't the best reference source.
            A. Redd
            Andy Redd

Comment

I'm fairly sure it's Catlett Station. It's certainly during the Second Manassas Campaign.

As for blousing, I do it all the time. No one says a word. I don't look out of place. Of course, I blouse my DRAWERS, not my trousers. Bloused trousers are a sign that the soldier probably isn't wearing drawers as there's not much point in blousing both.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

There are also several period drawing of soldiers with their PANTS bloused into their socks. AC Redwood I believe is one of the artists that show this. Yes, it was period. Do I do it? No, I choose not too for numerous reasons. I choose to blouse my drawers instead of the pants, although I wouldn't say that this method is more authentic than blousing your pants. I believe both types of blousing are as authentic (from period drawings, etc) as not blousing your pants at all.
                Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

The only other image I can think of with a soldier having his pants tucked into his socks is the attached image of a young dead Confederate in the trenches of Petersburg in April 1865. Actually only one is tucked the other is MIA.
                  Attached Files
                  Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
                  Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
                  Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
                  Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

This is speculation, however with alot of those Civil War monuments showing men armed with the later trapdoor Springfield, (I know of at least one we have in the park) they may have been using illustrations from the Indian Wars. It was very common and documented in sketches for the infantry out west to tuck trousers into socks and tie the sock with a piece of string or twine. That is where I think alot of these monuments got their ideas from since many of them were sculpted close to the turn of the century - those Russell and Remington sketches and paintings were likely some of their inspiration, even if off the mark in some regards.
                    Jake Koch
                    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
                    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
                    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
                    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

I think this is one of those things that is an issue of practicality and will never be "solved" as to how often it was done or when. I myself have never tucked them in, but that is not to say I won't based on bugs, weather etc. I think there is enough evidence to say that it definitely was done.
                      Jake Book

------------------
                      21st Wisconsin - Picket Post - May, 2016
                      123rd Illinois - Perryville - October, 2016

Comment

All-

I'd like to see more pictoral/1st-hand accounts of if this practice was done. Let's keep it to that and nothing anecdotal, please. Thanks! Perhaps we can add to the search engine on here. ;)
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Several CS prisoners are seen to have pants tucked in socks as pointed out in the article.
                          Bob Manzo
                          Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Originally posted by jake.koch
                            This is speculation, however with alot of those Civil War monuments showing men armed with the later trapdoor Springfield, (I know of at least one we have in the park) they may have been using illustrations from the Indian Wars. It was very common and documented in sketches for the infantry out west to tuck trousers into socks and tie the sock with a piece of string or twine. That is where I think alot of these monuments got their ideas from since many of them were sculpted close to the turn of the century - those Russell and Remington sketches and paintings were likely some of their inspiration, even if off the mark in some regards.
                            Funny you should mention the statues in your park. I was looking for photographs of the Alabama monument which has soldiers blousing socks and strings holding them up. Wasn't this monument placed there in time for the Centennial?
                            Silas Tackitt,
                            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Where's the like button?
                              In this book: http://www.amazon.com/More-Gallant-D.../dp/0873514076 the 1st was told to tuck their trowsers into their socks at Fredericksburg. Just because there isn't a photo, doesn't mean the boys of 186x didn't have common sense. They hated gaiters with a passion. Just ask General Gibbons horse.

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
                              I am not a preacher and this is not a sermon but there is a broader issue. Fieldcraft. Doing what works for a good reason, not necessarily because it can be seen in an image. How did it improve your lot in life? Sure, sometimes tuck the cuff of the trousers (trowsers) into the socks to keep the ticks from crawling up your pants leg. I do that because the Stones River battlefield park has tall native grass and last summer especially, ticks were a problem. If somebody thinks its a fashion statement, well who cares what somebody else thinks? I'd rather not get sick with Lyme's disease. If there's no problem with ticks, probably not going to see me "blouse" my trousers into my socks. Why do it? Also, I may or may not button my coat or even wear it unless out of camp, depending on temperature and comfort.

No greatcoat...I have a gum blanket, which works both when it's cold or wet. I like the US 1858 infantry hat because the brim keeps my face dry if it rains and if not it keeps the sun out of my eyes. Carry a folder (pocket knife) and often use it. In fact, its many uses make it indispensible. Maybe use the sling for carrying your musket (the purpose intended), depending on if you need to use it for some more necessary purchase, like holding your pants up or securing a bedroll. And so on. Take care of your feet, mend your clothes and regardless of the weather, take pains to stay warm and dry. I keep my musket clean and dry so it will both pass inspection and fire in any weather.

Let the circumstances dictate how you use any of your equipment, with an eye towards "less is more." Can some piece of material culture be used for multiple purposes? Is something useless? My recommendation would be, if you "blouse" your trousers into socks, do so for some good reason.
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                              Past President Potomac Legion
                              Long time member Columbia Rifles
                              Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X