British Imported Haversacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Imported Haversacks

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of a surviving CS documented British import haversack anywhere? I have just unearthed some new evidence that they were imported in small numbers with one large order being shipped in by Caleb Huse in August 1861.

If anyone knows of one in a museum or private collection and they would like to share any information, please fire away.

Regards,

Dave Burt
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: British Imported Haversacks

Contact Boyd Miles, he reproduces these. He has viewed two originals, both in private collections.

Lewis M Robinson Jr
    Armory Guards
    Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

I don't think Boyd's is the one Dave is talking about. It would probably look like the 1854 model. Click image for larger version

Name:	brit haversack 1854.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	224204
      David H. Thomas
      Starr's NC Battery
      Fayetteville, NC

Comment

David,

I don't think the imported ones were of the regulation fashion, more likely the volunteer style as in the link provided by Lewis. Does anyone have any information on these bags?

Dave Burt
        David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Interesting. I'll like to see the research on those too.
          David H. Thomas
          Starr's NC Battery
          Fayetteville, NC

Comment

I talked with a fellow forum member that owns one of the Heritage auction haversack like listed here:

We speculate that the haversack was captured on one of the blockade runners, then painted and closure straps added. He took a closer look at his haversack and sure enough, there was a button hole beneath the buckle strap. That would indicate that it was altered to meet something close to what was general issue. That said, if the blockade runner captured speculation holds true, it also would point that this is the style.. or at least one of the styles... being imported to the Confederacy.
            ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Thanks Marc, as can be seen in the picture David posted above, that is certainly the P1854 type. The other type imported were stamped "S ISAAC CAMPBELL & CO in blue ink and these were the types issued to the British Rifle Volunteers as SIC & CO were their main providers.
              So it appears that two types were imported - although in small numbers. Both the P1854 and the volunteer type.

Is there any more provenance on this bag at all? Or what ship it may have been captured off?

Dave Burt

Comment

Dave, Nothing that I know of for provenacne on the bags. There were a couple listed at Heritage Auctions from the Kurtz collection. In briefly talking with the owner of one of these bags, he noticed the button hole on the back of the flap beneath the leather strap. We speculated that the bag was captured on one of the blockade running ships like/with the British accouts that were issued to New England troops. It was then "upgraded" to meet Federal standards by being painted and the closure straps added. If this would prove to be true, then I would speculate that any haversacks that did indeed make it through the blockade to the Confederacy would be unpainted and have the button closure just as issued to the British troops. I know that S&S is reproducing one of this style of haversack from an original in their collection, but I don't know the provenance on it.

From what I gather reading some books on British Issue equipment, there are a couple variations issued around this time period. The one pictured above is has provenacne to 1854 via the Sgt. Major Smith. it was issued to, but may have been an issue item to earlier than 1854. The one with the brass adjustment buckles on the strap is suppose to have been issued in 1860. The 1860 was "upgraded" around 1864/65 with a button on the back of the bag that allowed it to be rolled up when not in use. I haven't found any information about British Rifle Volunteer bags as of yet. But I do know that Don Smith of the Trans-Mississippi Depot made a reproduction of the Volunteer bag at one time. I believe he copied it from one in a collection also, but don't have that information.
                Last edited by teufelhund; 04-01-2014, 07:21 AM.
                ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Marc,

Thanks for the detailed reply. The picture of the painted bag looks to be the P1860 type bag complete with the altered strap- which you correctly say- was issued in 1860. I know Huse invoiced 2000 'Haversacks' in August 1861, but there are no other mentions of them in all the other papers in the McRae collection. And Gorgas did not mention any in his "Abstract of Summary" letter of February 1863. This leads me to believe that this 2000 were indeed the only ones exported on government account as Huse would know that a haversack could easily be made by southern seamstresses - and as he was desperate to save money- I believe he would not have ordered more.

Still there were private speculators that were importing them for private sale, but how many we will never know. It seems that both the volunteer type with S. Isaac Campbell & Co stamped in blue ink were imported along with the regulation version which was unpainted canvas. As you say, some of these were captured, painted, and issued to Union troops.
                  That is what I have so far. If anyone has a picture of the original volunteer style that would round it off well.

Dave Burt

Comment

Does anyone have an email address for Don Smith? I have tried his old one, which bounced back, and sent him a private message but no response. I think he is the key to unlock this mystery.

Dave Burt

Comment

He is on Facebook, DF Smith Reproductions or DFS Reproductions for his Sutler page(not sure off the bat on it) and he has a personal page too...
                      ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Marc,

Thanks for the contact information. Don is going to send me all he has on the haversacks he has personally examined. I will also get more invoices from the McRae Papers to hopefully add more evidence of their existence.

Dave Burt

Comment

Working...
                        X