Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canvas/camp shoes

Originally posted by Tom Craig
    It seems safe to draw a conclusion here. If canvas shoes were so common in the military then it stands to reason that they must have been widely available in civil life.
    Mr. Craig, that's actually not a safe conclusion to draw. Forage caps were widely used in the military, but not widely used in the non-military world, for instance.

It's a much better bet to continue researching the civilian use of cloth shoes, and make any conclusions after more searching, rather than extrapolating use from military issue.

Emmanuel, while these may not be the "class" of shoe you're looking at, what about the cloth-upper shoes and "gaiters" that could be had by civilians? These are mentioned in fashion notes and seen in engravings, though I've only seen pictures of a few surviving pair (which were on ebay, and I didn't save the images). They weren't terribly crude--were more a fitted cloth/canvas upper, on a regular sole from a shoemaker.

The book "Every Woman Her Own Shoemaker" might be helpful--I can't find my link to it just now, though.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I'm not really looking for a "class" of shoes, mainly if these canvas shoes are going to be targetted as civilian shoes, why don't we see them in more civilian images? Why not more diaries, letters, etc.? So far we had seen a plethora of military references and photos; but if they are a "sport" shoe, for what sport? Ok, baseball...well Rick points out that even New York Knickerbokers are wearing leather shoes.

While I haven't done a great amount of baseball research, I personally have found no CIVILIAN references to baseball in the American South before the end of the war. That word "civilian" excludes Confederate military. The popularity of baseball doesn't seem to become a great, fun, rip roarin' time until some years following the conclusion of the conflict. And again, I'm no baseball researcher...

The war does force some to turn to less conventional manners in finding something to cover their feet. For wartime Southerners, finding funds and resources to be able to go to the photographer; no less hope photographer has all he needs to strike your image, was difficult enough. But did these canvas shoes look like the ones currently out on the market? Would a woman have a canvas shoe made to look like this? More questions, fewer answers...
      Sincerely,
      Emmanuel Dabney
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

I have seen many referances to these types of shoes being worn by early war New Hampshire units (2nd, 3rd infantry regiments)at least individuals. Several books even show them wearing them. I am not sure as to the validity of it but there is some documentation but for only early war for Federals.

Brian Schwatka
        Brian Schwatka
        Co. K 3rd US Regulars
        "Buffsticks"

Comment

Yes Emmanuel you are correct ....more questions and way fewer answers. Lets hope that one day there will at least image found with this shoe on a civilian.

One of the first baseball images was struck at Ft Pulaski in Savannah , GA while occupied by the federals. ( Many images claim to be the first). So it definitely appears that baseball gained popularity after the war.

The reference in the book 'A Blockaded Family in Southern Alabama" was made by a woman .

"We explored the seldom visited attic and overhauled the contents of old trunks for pieces of cassimere, merino , or broadcloth to make our sunday shoes, as we could not afford to wear shoes of such fine stuff everyday. Home woven jeans and plain cloth had to answer for everyday wear. When one was so fortunate to get a bolt of osnaburg, the scraps made exellent shoes when colored. What is now called 'the baseball shoe' always reminds me of our war time shoes. "originally published 1888.

She doesn't say they are the same. BUt when I researched the history of baseball all the images of this time period were like the camp shoe.

For now we must keep looking. Maybe with several always on the look out we can find one.

LisaMs. Pace, please remember to sign your full name to your posts. Remember you can adjust your settings so that your signature appears by default. Justin Runyon, Forum Moderator
          Last edited by Justin Runyon; 04-03-2004, 11:03 AM.
          Lisa Pace

Comment

Well, I just thought of something, if these cloth shoes were for the poor, why would soldiers buy them when they are already drawing shoes and since there are many photos of officers wearing them they would not be poor, but maybe middle class at the lowest. Just food for thought.

Comment

Greetings,

CLARKE COUNTY [AL] JOURNAL, May 12, 1864, p. 2, c. 1
              Canvass Shoes.—Capt. J. F. Jewett has shown us a very neat looking shoe the "uppers" of which are manufactured of Alabama made canvass. Captain J. informs us that he is prepared to manufacture a large number of these shoes. We wish him all success in his laudable enterprise.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hello,

Here is alink to that Falmouth Sharpshooter Image:

http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/USSS_Falmouth(3).jpg

David M. Rider
                Company "C" 2nd Reg US Sharpshooters
                http://www.berdansharpshooters.com
                1338 Greenview Drive
                Bethlehem, Pa. 18018-1723
                (610) 867-5128
                dmrider@ptd.net

Comment

Here is an image of my great great grandfather wearing the canvas shoes. He was wounded during the Seven Days Battles and medically discharged just before Antietam; so I would guess the image was taken in 1861.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...lbum=26&pos=20

Comment

Ok, so they aren't the so called camp shoes, but here are some newspaper ads that include canvas shoes. A friend of mine made a pair of the wooden soled canvas upper ones and didn't like them, so is letting me have them and giving them a shot for my mid-late war Civilian impression down here.

Cheers,
                    Adam Cripps

P.S. I found tons of stuff on other types of ersatz footwear if anyone wants me to post them. However, I'm staying on topic with this one.

CHARLESTON MERCURY, April 30, 1862, p. 1, c. 6
                    The Ladies Making Shoes.--Quite a number of ladies of this parish have commenced making their own and their children's shoes, and they do very good work. We have seen several pairs of these home-made shoes, and they are not only strong, but they are very well proportioned. The cheapest way that they make them is to take the soles of old shoes, soak them in water until they are limber, pick out the old stitches, fit them to the last after the cloth is fitted to the same, sew the soles to the cloth with strong waxed thread, and then turn the shoe, nail the heel to its place, and the shoe is done. It is cheap, serviceable, and a very good cloth shoe.--Planter's Louisiana Banner.

DAILY CHRONICLE & SENTINEL [AUGUSTA, GA], October 3, 1861, p. 3, c. 1
                    Wooden Shoes.--We have received from Mr. McKinlay a pair of shoes, very simple and ingeniously made of a species of gum wood, of which our swamps contain an everlasting supply, and which, when seasoned, combines the lightness of white pine, the strength of hickory, and to some degree, the elasticity and endurance of horn. They can be made waterproof by the addition of a coat of oil or varnish. In the present scarcity of leather the suitability of these shoes for plantation use is a matter of grave moment. Specimens of the shoes may be seen in our office.
                    We clip the above from the Charleston Mercury. If we can make good shoes with wooden bottoms--and we know they can be made, for we saw some of them last year, introduced by Mr. James A. Gray of this city, and they are better for farm laborers than leather bottoms--and with oil-cloth tops, such material as is manufactured in half a dozen places in the Confederacy we can snap our fingers at "leather and prunella."

DAILY CHRONICLE & SENTINEL [AUGUSTA, GA], October 29, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
                    We learn from the Americus Republican that a firm in that place are about to commence manufacturing shoes with wooden soles and waterproof canvass uppers.

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, October 29, 1862, p. 1, c. 2-3
                    Practical Hints for Hard Times
                    "What man has done, man may do."
                    NO. 1 – SHOES.

.......5. Of anything in the shape of real shoes, the simplest and most easily made, as well as the cheapest, though not the most graceful, is the shoe with a thick wooden sole, to the sides of which the uppers are strongly fastened with ordinary three or four-ounce tacks. The making of it requires no awl, no needle, no thread, not even a shoe last, but only a properly made sole, and the uppers cut right and fastened together by a hammer and tacks. To make it shape out a sole of wood rather thicker and narrower than usual, and fitting close up into the hollow of the foot, let the uppers be made in two pieces, as chamber slippers are sometimes seen to be—the heel part in a kind of new moon shape, having its sharp point tacked not quite half toward the toes, and the toe and instep part extending back so as to overlap the heel piece and tacked about half way of the heel. The uppers may be of two thicknesses of osnaburgs, blackened with a water-proof mixture, or, what is better, of enamelled cloth, lined with strong canvas. Any person who would make a shoe of this kind without loss must first of all make himself a pattern of cheap materials, and try its fitting.

6. The fatigue shoe, used of late in European armies, and occasionally to be seen in our own, consists of a soft hempen sole, very grateful to blistered feet, and an upper of soft leather or cloth. To make the sole, take the ravelings of a rope, and plait three strands together into a flat braid as wide as the sole is to be thick, say five-eights of an inch. The, on the same plan by which a negro makes a mat of braided corn shucks, put your braided strands together, and sew them flat sided, in the shape of the sole desired. The upper and the soles are then sewed together by means of a large needle; but the operation will require a last. The bottoms of the soles may be saturated with the waterproof and made available for out door use.

....This is the time for the exercise of Southern ingenuity, and these hints are thrown out merely to give that ingenuity a start.
                    Marooner, Sr.
                    P.S.—Since writing the above, and just in the act of sending to you, I am informed of what appears at a little distance to be a beautiful French gaiter of slate color, made by a lady of this place for herself, of ordinary osnaburgs doubled. The osnaburgs were used as "the upper" of the shoe; and to the rest she was indebted to one of her worn out shoes (ladies seldom wear out soles) which she trimmed so as to give her a nice sole with heel and toe.

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, November 4, 1862, p. 1, c. 3
                    Practical Hints for Hard Times.
                    "What man has done, man may do."
                    ADDENDA TO NO. 1, ON THE SUBJECT OF SHOES.
                    Since the publication of No. 1, two suggestions, promising usefulness, have been made to the writer, both on the subject of soles.
                    Addendum 1st: A shoe in actual service and very convenient for chamber use, is reported to be made with a sole of quilted cloth.
                    Addendum 2d: A gentleman noted among his intimate friends for his ingenuity proposed an improvement upon article 5th of No. 1. The upper of the shoe is made of enamelled cloth tacked firmly to a thick wooden sole; but the sole itself has a joint about half way between toe and heel so as to give flexibility in walking. The hinge, made either of leather or metal, is inserted in the body of the sole, so as to be entirely invisible. So far as tried it promises to work well.
                    [COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=4][FONT=Book Antiqua]Adam Cripps[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Indeed. The following work, which predates the war, also discusses manufacture of "cloth shoes" and, in fact, provides a method of waterproofing canvas using, among other things, linseed oil, rosin, and india-rubber dissolved in turpentine:

Richardson, William H.

The boot and shoe manufacturers' assistant and guide.
                      Containing a brief history of the trade. History of
                      india-rubber and gutta-percha, and their application to
                      the manufacture of boots and shoes. Full instructions in
                      the art, with diagrams and scales, etc., etc.
                      Vulcanization and sulphurization, English and American
                      patents. With an elaborate treatise on tanning. Comp.
                      and ed. by W.H. Richardson, Jr. ...

Publisher: Boston, Higgins, Bradley & Dayton, 1858, xxv, 9-345 p. illus., diagrs. 19 cm.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

In the UDC's collection in Charleston, SC, there is a wooden-soled shoe with a leather hinge in it, as described in the bottom of post # 24.

Neal

(Oops, I see that Neill Rose has already posted pictures of this shoe. That's no surprise-- he knows what he's about.)
                        Last edited by Masked Battery; 05-14-2004, 04:43 PM.
                        [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

I found a Quarter-Master purchase of this item by my gg-grandfather in the 155th PA's Clothing Book:

July 20/64 - 1 pr. Gum. S. Shoes $2.20

The price is on average about 15 cents more than a pair of booties went for directly from the QM. Also of note, I could only find one other instance of this item (labeled as "gum sole shoes" this time) amongst the other company books.
                          R. Charles Cesca
                          Co.B 155th PVI
                          Great-great-grandson: Corp. Richard B Davis
                          "Applejackin'. Fence flippin'. Hard chargin'."

Comment

hello,

if you look in the book (echoes of glory- federal) you will see some pictures of western troops wearing them.

Nick bentley

Comment

What page in Federal EOG?

Comment

Working...
                              X